Any salmon about?

luderick -angler

Hey Royce,

I haven't heard anything recently, but if I do I'll let you know! Hoping to get a morning fish in this Sunday so I might see a few if they're about.

Sorry again about missing my last day out with you! Was really crook overnight, spent Sunday and half the work week bedridden.

Cheers,

Luke

Quite a bit of talk that salmon numbers in Sydney are substantially down since the coalition state government allowed 200 tonnes of salmon to be netted annually in waters north of Barrenjoey Head a few years ago. Before the netting - the fish are caught for commercial trap baits - sambos had become a year round fishery in Sydney, and the average size was getting very solid. The average Sydney fish seems to be smaller now as well. Will be interesting to see what the spring baitfish hatch-sambo fishing is like.

Sparked by this thread I did a bit of research and found the following Link http://fish.gov.au/report/2-AUSTRALIAN-SALMONS-2016?jurisdictionId=5 While I have no formal qualifications it appears there is a downward trend in the amount of Salmon commercially caught since the limit was raised in 2011. This despite the limit not changing, my conclusion there are less fish available and the limit allowed needs to be reviewed especially as this trend is evident after only 5 years of commercial fishing.

Thanks for all the replies. I have seen a few small schools in late Autumn but that was it. Government has a lot to answer for especially when they're lobbied by private industry with no regard for the long term outcome looks like where back to the days of the Eden cannery! 

as a side note  forty years ago we never caught salmon on beaches north of Newcastle..when the pros stopped catching large quantities af them the schools started creeping north...now there is that many hundreds of tonnes of them on the nsw coast they push up as far as coffs harbor now..all they do is eat..the squid fishing has declined in my area over the last ten years as the salm,on smash all the young squid..some days off Swansea there is ten or more schools of salmon 100/150 mtrs across and forty feet deep..im talking hundreds of tonnes of useless fish eating every squid yellowtail slimy and anything else that swims..they are now b eing caught in lake mac in increasing numbers..they are in there eating whitebait prawns small squid etc etc ..hardly anyone eats them..they are classed as SPORTFISH..try catching numbers of slimies out of Swansea  good luck the salmon have decimated them..i wish the pros would catch more because some days up here all you can see is wall to wall eating machines that are no good for anything....salmon were never caught up the coast its the sheer numbers of them that are making them range so far north..anyway that's my rant .im not ashamed to say I dislike them..sometimes they are fun to catch but are a pain when they eat every livie you have targeting more prized species...rick