What size baitcaster rod and reel should I use for Murray Cod at Copeton Dam

madfishohamish

everyone has differing opinions  I use 10lb braid on spinning reel.some of my mates use 30lb braid on spinning or o/head...ive caught some good cod over 90 cm and never had a prob  most of these while spinning from bank and some of a night..lots of guys go with 30lb but I find it restricts your casting distance..wait for some more input from other fr readers..you will see what I mean..rick

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

everyone has differing opinions  I use 10lb braid on spinning reel.some of my mates use 30lb braid on spinning or o/head...ive caught some good cod over 90 cm and never had a prob  most of these while spinning from bank and some of a night..lots of guys go with 30lb but I find it restricts your casting distance..wait for some more input from other fr readers..you will see what I mean..rick

Thanks rick I think I'll run 20 pound spider wire braid and 30 pound leader.   Cheers hamo

31 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

yeah mate middle of the road  they don't pull that much string the initial hit is the worry..thirty lb trace should be ok..night time I go up to 50lb as you cant see where there running you..lots of rock and structure in copeton..hope you do well..rick

Yeah I think thirty should do the trick and thanks for the help mate. Cheers hamo