Is a sea anchor useful?

outdoors

Hi

I've only recently started fishing from a kayak and was curious whether many people use sea anchors for their fishing? 

It seems like something that could be useful but also something that a person might buy then forget about. The main application I had in mind was when fishing for bream around fixed structures.

Thanks 

22 hours ago, outdoors said:

Hi

I've only recently started fishing from a kayak and was curious whether many people use sea anchors for their fishing? 

It seems like something that could be useful but also something that a person might buy then forget about. The main application I had in mind was when fishing for bream around fixed structures.

Thanks 

hi outdoors,

Yep, they're mighty handy to have in a kayak.

They won't hold you in one place, what they do is slow drift caused by wind.If you want to stay put for any length of time next to one fixed structure regardless of wind or current, regular anchors are the way to go. But if you're working you way through a series of fixed structures, wharves, boat hulls, or just the shore in general, they can (it does depend a lot on current and wind strength and direction) do a great job of slowing your drift down just enough to get some casts in before you move on.

The other thing sea anchors, or drift chutes, do really well is allow you to control the direction you yak faces while it's drifting. Roughly, the end or side of the kayak you attach the drift anchor to will face into the wind.

Little folding grapple anchors are good too. They're pretty cheap - $10/15 something like that.

Regular anchors do get stuck. You can save yourself a lot of hassle and some risk by using a smallish cable tie to attach your anchor cord (3mm cord is tons strong enough for a kayak) to the top of the anchor. You then attach the cord to the bottom of the anchor with a stronger cable tie. If .. when ... the anchor gets stuck you pull really hard on the cord and (if you've guessed right what size cable tie you can break without capsizing, lol!) the top one snaps and you get to pull the anchor unsangs because suddenly you're pulling it up from behind. If it's still stuck, you snap the second cable tie and cause a little less litter and save yourself buying another length of cord. Search online you'll find plenty of instructionals, with pics explaining that better than I have just done.

You can just use a small plastic bucket.

me personally id tie it to the rear of the yack as long as not in wave areas.

otherwise you will be constantly casting into the wind. 

that way you can always cast with the wind at your back for extra distance.

in a bit of a sea with wind or swell waves=  I'd tie it to front. 

IMG_2710.PNG

Edited by Trailcraft43

On 8/13/2017 at 9:44 PM, outdoors said:

How much does your one weigh? Have you ever gotten it stuck?

sorry not sure how much it weighs and i have nearly gotten it stuck once, but after about 15mins of tugging i got it free.

another idea is using a milkbottle. this is what i used before i had an anchor and it worked very well for a slow drift. all you need to do is get a 3L milkbottle fill it with rocks or sand and tie a rope to the handle of it

Ohh you guys are talking about an anchor not a sea anchor?

i miss understood when reading the heading.

a sea anchor is something that floats just under the surface and slows the craft.

your after an anchor that hits the sea floor n grabs on.

sorry my mistake.?

Edited by Trailcraft43

1 hour ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Ohh you guys are talking about an anchor not a sea anchor?

i miss understood when reading the heading.

a sea anchor is something that floats just under the surface and slows the craft.

your after an anchor that hits the sea floor n grabs on.

sorry my mistake.?

What Tailcraft is talking about is awesome for a slow drift tho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anchor

A sea anchor (also known as a drift anchor, drift sock, para-anchor or boat brake) is a device used to stabilize a boat in heavy weather. Rather than tethering the boat to the seabed, the sea anchor increases the drag through the water and thus acts as a brake. When attached to the stern of a vessel, a sea anchor can prevent the vessel from turning broadside to the waves and being overwhelmed by them.

Often similar in design to the sea anchor is the usually smaller drogue, which is attached to the stern and intended to slow the boat for better control.

drogue.png

Edited by HenryR
added more words