Pvc Pipe Rod Holder

GioSparro

So this is probably a stupid question but if you dont ask you dont learn! How long should PVC pipe be when using it as a rod holder on the beach. Ive read online numbers between 2 and 5 foot. Ill be using it with a 6'6 rod for bream, whiting and flathead if it helps. Id obviously like it to be on the shorter side for transport but also dont want to lose a rod

I use about 4-5 foot pipe for my 12 foot rod

you can probably get away with 3 foot with your rod because it is quite light. Just make sure the butt of the rod is long enough to hold in the pipe. If not, the rod can come loose when a fish hits it

Id go 3-4 ft cut a long angle on the end do its easy to push into the sand.

as about 1 ft will get pushed into the sand to keep it stable.

being 3 ft sticking out means you won't need to bend over to pick up the rod or reel up slack line etc.

id start with 6 to 8 ft pipe and make 2 up.

so the angle that you cut only once makes for 2 holders of 3 to 4 ft each. 

Guest Guest123456789

I love the really long pvc rod holders. Reason being you often want it close to the wash to stop beach walkers and their dogs getting tangled in your line.  Having a real long holder means it can keep your reel clear of the wash and also be anchored deep in the sand.

transport problem is solved if you use a Flexi tub. You just put your rods and rod holders in between the handles then fold them over. Long rods and holders are transported easy.

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/42-ltr-flexi-tub-blk/945520?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI86qAyOvm1QIV3QMqCh0jaQdEEAkYAyABEgJBifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also got an end cap(nice rounded surface for your hand) the next size up to use to push the sand spikes into the sand.

If you want to get fancy you could make a cut out for your reel to sit in and even add a hole with a quck clip and a short cord to secure rod/reel...........

Jim...

Edited by jot

Guest Guest123456789

Here is a picture of my favourite spike. It's 1100 long with a metal rod 530 from the top. I found it abandoned at a local boat ramp so not sure how much they cost in stores

IMG_2017.JPG

Just don't walk away from those pvc holders especially when a waves gets close to them wetting the sand. If a jew, shark or ray grabs the bait they can easely end up going over. I use a certain make that can hold fast even in wet sand, mud, shingle and even rocks. I don't think I'm allowed to mention the make as it's not sold by the site sponsors, in saying that neither is Bunnings pipe!!!

Jon, is you rod holder a shiny tube with a spike?

I just prefer metal spikes with pre-set weak reel drag. Easier to set into the beach sand or river bank, easier to remove, easier to transport and easier to clean than PVC tubes.

The longer the better,  the higher your rod is the better. The reel is safer from water, it keeps the line out of the shorebreak and as mentioned keeps it above beach walkers. You really need to work them in deep but. I have two allow pickets with the heavy wire hook rod holders attached and I drive them in with a mallet. So if I want I can have my jewie rod locked up and it won't fall over. It could bounce out if you're unlucky. 

For the PVC go as long as is convenient to transport. The longer it is, the more you want in the sand. I'd go at least 4 feet tube. 50mm seems the best diameter cut the angle on the bottom. If you want the fancy flared bit at the top like he shop ones, where you put the rod in and out you can heat the end of the pipe up over the BBQ and push a wine bottle in the end. This will flare the end nicely. Just hold it for a minute or two so it cools in that shape. It's easy to put a rivet, screw, pin through to set the depth the rod goes in if you want. Another way of driving them in is drill a hole sideways through the pipe to slide bar through to use as a T handle to push/twist/wiggle it in further. Remember the PVC can bend so go as heavy duty pipe as your application needs. 

16 hours ago, savit said:

Jon, is you rod holder a shiny tube with a spike?

I just prefer metal spikes with pre-set weak reel drag. Easier to set into the beach sand or river bank, easier to remove, easier to transport and easier to clean than PVC tubes.

Yes, the spike is adjustable and also has a thread for screwing into rock cracks. I have no dramas setting my drags at 6-7kg even when getting smacked by high speed sharks and rays,  the rods hold solid even in wet sand. The shoulder strap makes them easy to use if I'm constantly walking and flicking lures. When I need to unhook a salmon or tailor I simply drop the holder into the sand to hold the rod as I dispatch or release the fish. If I'm keeping the fish I use a cord that attaches to my bum bag of lures and tow the fish with my hands free to keep flicking lures.