Great Sunday - but what fish is this?

omnimaqq

Thought today was going to be as windy as earlier this week, but as we got to the wharf, it was quite calm. Started using prawns and got some great results. 

Reeled in this monster about 35cm long. But have no idea what it is? Wrasse of some sort? Teeth is definitely sharp. Found another hook inside it's mouth too. 

Nearly caught a huge flathead too but line snapped as it came towards the surface. Oh well. 

Seems like fish is more active now than in the cold winter. 

mmexport1503219415372.jpg

mmexport1503219409538.jpg

Hi there, may I ask why you are taking fish when you have no idea what it is, or if there are legal size limits, not to mention possible toxins. Some species are protected and we all need to be aware what we are taking. If in doubt....release!

Omni here is some info that will help you and other raiders fishing in NSW. You can also download an app to your phone to check what you have caught. Check out Records section too as we have a very large collection of captures. 

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

By all means keep posting here with pics for our experts to help ID and by the way great to see another female enjoying the sport.

IMG_2363.PNG

13 hours ago, omnimaqq said:

Thought today was going to be as windy as earlier this week, but as we got to the wharf, it was quite calm. Started using prawns and got some great results. 

Reeled in this monster about 35cm long. But have no idea what it is? Wrasse of some sort? Teeth is definitely sharp. Found another hook inside it's mouth too. 

Nearly caught a huge flathead too but line snapped as it came towards the surface. Oh well. 

Seems like fish is more active now than in the cold winter. 

mmexport1503219415372.jpg

mmexport1503219409538.jpg

Top result. Bad luck on the flatties but better then a donut. Keep it up

I does look like a groper, but somehow its different..... teeth, eye and skin. I guess its over 30 cm and it doesn't look like any protected type, such as cod and blue fish, as she mention it must be some kind of  : " Wrasse of some sort?" Taste any good?

12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Omni here is some info that will help you and other raiders fishing in NSW. You can also download an app to your phone to check what you have caught. Check out Records section too as we have a very large collection of captures. 

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

By all means keep posting here with pics for our experts to help ID and by the way great to see another female enjoying the sport.

IMG_2363.PNG

Thanks mate I have the My fishing Mate pro on my phone already and I check any fish I'm not sure of on this app. :) this time I checked the fish on the app (you can select state as well) but didnt have any luck finding a match. 

12 hours ago, REELCRAZY said:

Hi there, may I ask why you are taking fish when you have no idea what it is, or if there are legal size limits, not to mention possible toxins. Some species are protected and we all need to be aware what we are taking. If in doubt....release!

That's true, I normally do that if it's an abnormal looking fish. But I caught it on the wharf and some fishos there commented it was a wrasse and the size was good enough to keep. So I took on their advice. But since going home couldn't find a match in the app or on the nsw website caused me to seek further clarification on this forum. 

19 hours ago, Will1702 said:

Looks like a grouper, they're a member of the wrasse family. Normally get them when fishing the rocks.

Interesting, I asked my friends dad who's also a fellow fisho and he said either a parrot fish or grouper. But we got this one at the wharf. So not sure how common that is. 

13 hours ago, Blackfish said:

My guess would be a Purple Wrasse Notolabrus fucicole.

Also bad luck with the Flatty, what a buggar.

That's interesting. I had a look and the head looks a bit different. 

Also the scales are pretty large if that makes any difference. 

As a few have mentioned you really need to be carefull taking any species you don't know, after all it could be undersized or protected etc. I saw a black cod posted on here a while back ( which may of been released ) but these come with a $5000 fine and no warning because of their status. I saw a lad post a black cod he had speared on a forum who ended up being tracked down by fisheries.

Back to the fish, was it that colour when you caught it.

Edited by JonD

10 minutes ago, JonD said:

As a few have mentioned you really need to be carefull taking any species you don't know, after all it could be undersized or protected etc. I saw a black cod posted on here a while back ( which may of been released ) but these come with a $5000 fine and no warning because of their status. I saw a lad post a black cod he had speared on a forum who ended up being tracked down by fisheries.

Back to the fish, was it that colour when you caught it.

It was pretty much this colour, I don't remember any colours that really stood out to me when I first caught it. 

I think it's a bluethroat wrasse actually. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's not a female Crimson-banded Wrasse.

It appears more like Günther's aka Guenther's Wrasse. It would be great to see more detail in the colours and patterns. 

Shoot an email to my friend Mark at the Australian Museum. 

Mark.McGrouther@austmus.gov.au

He's an expert of Australian fishes ?

Edited by Amatteroflight

6 hours ago, Amatteroflight said:

It's not a female Crimson-banded Wrasse.

It appears more like Günther's aka Guenther's Wrasse. It would be great to see more detail in the colours and patterns. 

Shoot an email to my friend Mark at the Australian Museum. 

Mark.McGrouther@austmus.gov.au

He's an expert of Australian fishes ?

Amatteroflight is probably a member who's opinion is worth listening too. He is probably the only one of us who has a species of fish named after himself.

cheers

vols