APPS FOR PHONES AND TABLETS REVIEWS - post your here

mrsswordfisherman

There are some very good apps for phones and tablets these days. I thought it might be good to start a pinned thread with updated and current apps that raiders can use. Please feel free to add your favourite and any tips for use etc

We have direct links to pages and our own Articles written by members here inside fishraider  - LINKS and ARTICLES tabs will get you there (yell if you need help navigating to it on phone, tablet or computer). Please note that ALL social media content is firstly published into fishraider forum so nobody will miss out if they do not use it.

I am looking for Social Media experts - if anyone wants to help please message me. We have facebook and twitter channels.

Here are some links to fishraider facebook page - please help by liking the page

https://www.facebook.com/fishraider/

Use this template to place your review if possible

NAME OF APP:

PLATFORM AVAILABILITY: (iphone, android, ipad, tablet)

USE OF APP/INFO CONTAINED:

REVIEW:

Cheers mrsswordie

NAME OF APP: FishSmart NSW

PLATFORM AVAILABILITY: iphone, android, ipad, tablet and is free

USE OF APP/INFO CONTAINED: The official app from NSW Department of Primary Industries provides you with the essential information you need to fish recreationally in NSW.

REVIEW: has all the info and is free - links directly to the DPI page. You can report illegal fishing, buy a licence and do all sorts of other things.

IMG_2131.PNG

Not quite sure how to post an app but here's the link to the marine rescue app for registering your boat and logging on made easy.

I like the way it automatically knows where you are launching from so all you need to do is state the basics as everything else is all ready logged once you enitialy register your boat.

It also gives local weather forecasts and updates from your recognised location.

http://marinerescuensw.com.au/component/content?id=79/

On 8/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

There are some very good apps for phones and tablets these days. I thought it might be good to start a pinned thread with updated and current apps that raiders can use. Please feel free to add your favourite and any tips for use etc

We have direct links to pages and our own Articles written by members here inside fishraider  - LINKS and ARTICLES tabs will get you there (yell if you need help navigating to it on phone, tablet or computer). Please note that ALL social media content is firstly published into fishraider forum so nobody will miss out if they do not use it.

I am looking for Social Media experts - if anyone wants to help please message me. We have facebook and twitter channels.

Here are some links to fishraider facebook page - please help by liking the page.

NAME OF APP:

REVIEW:

Cheers mrsswordie

Mr swoodi

here are my personal advice, which may or may not appeal to you. There is a app call wechat which I currently uses, it's very handle it's a chatting/SMS/video call etc. Might be worth while to consider taking fish raider a step ahead for the fisho here. Basically, people from fish raider will be invited to a group chat. People show and share their catch instantly and anyone can comment whenever they get the chance.

easy to use and convenient.

anyway it's up to you champ. Your the boss :)

5 hours ago, papafish said:

Mr swoodi

here are my personal advice, which may or may not appeal to you. There is a app call wechat which I currently uses, it's very handle it's a chatting/SMS/video call etc. Might be worth while to consider taking fish raider a step ahead for the fisho here. Basically, people from fish raider will be invited to a group chat. People show and share their catch instantly and anyone can comment whenever they get the chance.

Seems like a pretty good idea. Iv used similar things for other applications and has worked fairly well. 

There is also an app called Fishbrain. Its a free app with a subscription side of the app as well. Users can log fish caught and bait / lures used and location of the catch.

On 8/21/2017 at 8:36 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

Here are some links to fishraider facebook page - please help by liking the page.

NAME OF APP:

REVIEW:

Cheers mrsswordie

Mr swoodi

the app is call "wechat" you can diwnload it from App Store. Takes 3 min. Everything it's free.  Ideal for short chick chat and posting photo, share location. Selling of unwanted 2nd gear. Easy :)

@papafish thanks for the suggestion and by the way I am mrsswordfisherman aka Donna :) (mr swordie is swordfisherman)

There are many, many chat apps out there. I use What's App and of course Facebook Messenger. We also use Slack which is a collaboration app for team project use.

Fishraider has all the features you mentioned. You can personal message one member of several at once. You can post live reports videos and pics from the water as you fish via the smartphone.

Your chat apps are great for small groups but they would not be any good for a large group of members.

We did have a chat room attached to fishraider but it got little use. We had a few events in there and meetings and some fun.

If you have small chat groups that is great but don't forget to share with fishraiders on this forum - keep those reports coming and all the interesting discussion threads on boating and everything else.

Cheers

Donna

17 hours ago, papafish said:

Mr swoodi

Hi papafish, How would an English-only user go about conversing in wechat?

NAME OF APP: GoCam by Crunchfish

PLATFORM AVAILABILITY:  iphone,  ipad (but who takes an ipad fishing??)

USE OF APP/INFO CONTAINED: basically for taking fishing selfies if you're by yourself. You place your phone down and stand back within the picture. You use hand signals to tell the phone whether to take a photo or set a countdown timer

REVIEW: Pretty useful but I still reckon it's better to fish with good mates.

On 29/08/2017 at 11:46 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

@papafish thanks for the suggestion and by the way I am mrsswordfisherman aka Donna :) (mr swordie is swordfisherman)

There are many, many chat apps out there. I use What's App and of course Facebook Messenger. We also use Slack which is a collaboration app for team project use.

Fishraider has all the features you mentioned. You can personal message one member of several at once. You can post live reports videos and pics from the water as you fish via the smartphone.

Your chat apps are great for small groups but they would not be any good for a large group of members.

We did have a chat room attached to fishraider but it got little use. We had a few events in there and meetings and some fun.

If you have small chat groups that is great but don't forget to share with fishraiders on this forum - keep those reports coming and all the interesting discussion threads on boating and everything else.

Cheers

Donna

i think the max we can have in 1 group is 400member.. but you can't open as many groups lol

• 1 year later...

I use an app AU&NZ HD which is an iPad app that is basically a Navionics app that you can pay an annual subscription to.

I know somebody said who takes an iPad fishing, but think they may have been sarcastic, but I normally do as a backup for mapping in case something goes wrong with the HDS.

It is also really useful when downloading after your trip.

+1 @Fish_More .... hahaha yup @nutsaboutfishing who takes an iPad fishing right ! 

NAME OF APP: Navionics AU&NZ

PLATFORM AVAILABILITY: (iphone, android, ipad, tablet) I use the iOS version on my iPhone/iPad/iPad mini

USE OF APP/INFO CONTAINED:I have an older Combo GPS/Fishfinder. The fishfinder/sounder works great, the GPS part cannot take any more map upgrades - so I have dedicated the combo to be a fishfinder sounder and have mounted my iPad Mini with AU&NZ alongside as my navigation. Works great. Touch screen navigation/zoom, routes - reverse etc.. all the modern basics.  When setting a route between two points the app works out the route to go around obstacles - so if I am up river and set a waypoint offshore, it plots the route that keeps me in the safe channel all the way out.

Some neat stuff off the top of my head:

1. All waypoints synchronise between devices, so I can plan on my iPhone at my convenience and everything is replicated to the iPad. Similarly stored trip data is replicated back etc.

2. There is a community online that shares waypoints and data - these show up as you zoom in  - very informative!  

3. Seabed charts - you can hook up a sounder to the unit and contribute your sounder readings back to be incorporated in map updates - this means that accuracy is constantly being improved.

4. You can pre-download maps specific to the area's your fishing so that they are on your device.

5. Cool feature called FishingRanges - you can set several depth ranges to show different colours eg 10-14m, 20-25m, and it superimposes that range on the seabed charts - very handy to navigate to holes, gutters ... I have attached a screenshot view of Cowan Ck set to 20-25m 

5. much more.... once you pay for the app, its like $13/yr subscription and you get constantly upgraded charts, community edits, seabed and maps.

REVIEW:

It works for me! It was the cheapest GPS upgrade option !  The only negative is that left in the sun the iPad stored in its waterproof case can overheat and shut down so I usually drape a light coloured cloth over it to keep the direct sun off.

iPad Mini mounted next to my Sounder

image.png.8aca0a285282df3396e27701b36585ea.png

Fishing Ranges set at 20-25m ... more detailed contours show up as you zoom in.

image.png.c7bf1328f5e72864c8129046ef525210.png

Cheers

Zoran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1