whats wrong with people

rickmarlin62

im trying to sell my old faithful 60hp yammie on gtree..some of these lowballers make me wonder...one guy said think of your lowest price then halve it...offers of 500 bucks are an insult..it costs 600 for a lower gearcase...without a prop then there is a good running motor with 130psi all cylinders....these morons are doin my head in ..im not even responding to them now...rick

18 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

im trying to sell my old faithful 60hp yammie on gtree..some of these lowballers make me wonder...one guy said think of your lowest price then halve it...offers of 500 bucks are an insult..it costs 600 for a lower gearcase...without a prop then there is a good running motor with 130psi all cylinders....these morons are doin my head in ..im not even responding to them now...rick

Gumtree attracts those imbeciles.I put my tinny up two years ago and they either wanted to swap for silly things or pay me $5500 and less.You can guess what I told them can't you?If your serious go with the others and pay for the add.

Good luck with it.

Oh yeah I hear that, royally gets under my skin too! "What's the lowest you'll take " they say before asking any questions about the item. "The lowest I MAY take would be the absolute maximum you're willing to pay.... its called a negotiation". I work in sales and there are ways to get a seller to their rock bottom but you need to be engaged, do your homework and be genuine. I wouldn't totally right off gumtree as you could potentially be missing out on your best sale and there are genuine users, such as myself. Just gotta deal with the rubbish unfortunately. 

Speaking of which I'll be putting up my 16' quinnie in a few months, I'm new to fishraider is there an area here where you can promote you boat for sale?

Best way to deal with those Tossers is=

if your selling something and its a great price for say $1000 and you get the offer of $500

is to say ok hows $1500 sound?

lol, I do it all the time.

it does their heads in , hahaha

I never hear back from the idiots?

Edited by Trailcraft43

I even go to the extreme of if something I was selling at a bargain price if $100

and they send the $40 offer I say hows $130, then I change the price to $130 in the add and leave it like that, lol, ?

And then when they say ok I'll pay $100 I say too late it's $130 now , hahaha?

Having said all this I always put good prices on anything I sell.

and if something I want to buy is a good price I never question it or  lowball the seller! I just buy it.

if I want to buy something and I think it's too dear I don't even bother going to have a look.

Edited by Trailcraft43

I've sold a good amount of guitar gear on Gumtree, and generally have some good experiences. I did however find the most laughable scam I have ever seen. Some guy was buying something from ME for $50, and was going to come around the next day to pick it up. However, he then messaged me saying he only had a $100 dollar note on him, and that if I could paypal him the $50 as change in advance he would give me the 100 in person. Anyone who has ever fallen for that needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Like 1

I recently sold my boat on gumtree. Also had it on boatsales.com..au but all interest came from gumtree.

Yes, I too got bombarded with straight up "Whats your lowest price" - I would just respond with $100 less than what I was asking and that was that. I figure these are professional dealers who scour every add looking for desperadoes and then they resell.  

Maybe a pathetic way of earning a crust, but I suppose who am I to judge?  Not everyone is so privileged.

Had another guy who wanted to swap it for a motorbike. WTF. 

Anyway eventually a genuine buyer came along.

I suppose if you really wanted to get back at them, "accept" their $500. Then when they turn up all the way from woop woop tell them "nah sorry its sold 10 mins ago for the original price"

Edited by Smasher

Rick, may be put something like " firm price , or stupid offers / lowballers will be ignored " in the ad description . It will not remove all lowballers particularly if you sell good gear, however it may take them out of your head. Do not allow them to drag you on their level as it  still hurts, just ignore them.

Gumtree is not a bad free selling  tool,  you just get morons as a part of a package.

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Oh yeah I hear that, royally gets under my skin too! "What's the lowest you'll take " they say before asking any questions about the item. "The lowest I MAY take would be the absolute maximum you're willing to pay.... its called a negotiation". I work in sales and there are ways to get a seller to their rock bottom but you need to be engaged, do your homework and be genuine. I wouldn't totally right off gumtree as you could potentially be missing out on your best sale and there are genuine users, such as myself. Just gotta deal with the rubbish unfortunately. 

Speaking of which I'll be putting up my 16' quinnie in a few months, I'm new to fishraider is there an area here where you can promote you boat for sale?

Yes Ducky we have Swap and Sell here just read the rules and post using the guidelines. 

It will remain hidden until Blood Knot reads and approve the ad ;)

3 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yes Ducky we have Swap and Sell here just read the rules and post using the guidelines. 

It will remain hidden until Blood Knot reads and approve the ad ;)

Brilliant thank you

On a side note,I would of thought that the penny would finally drop to sellers that have their boats up for sale for months and months that perhaps it was time they re-wrote their adds or dropped the price etc.I see it regularly on various selling sites the same boats up for sale over and over.

yeah I put it in for a good price 2/3 what every other motor of that vintage is selling for then they tell me halve that..i may end up storing it in the shed and keep it in case someone I know needs a motor...the moron that upset me the most I sent him a msg with a new lowest price..$1.00 less than original..havnt heard back..thanks for the replies guys and girls its good to know im not the only one getting picked on...rick

A couple of years ago we had a boat on Boatsales and gumtree.   The boat was in top condition and we were asking for the price to match.

We had a few come to look at it from Boatsales and liked it but didn't buy for various reasons, mostly it was bigger than they imagined it and storage in their situation wouldn't work.   The eventual buyer came from gumtree at the advertised price.  One viewing a water test a few days later and that was it.

I remember a few low ballers but I would ignore them or play games with them.   I never give out my address until they are leaving home and on their way.   To many no shows wasting time otherwise. 

I probably shouldn't say this but I like to have a good time with my work mates and thought I would get one of them a beauty.

So I photographed his car one day and put it up for sale at a very low price giving his mobile phone number and name.

To say he got bombarded didn't do it justice while we all chuckled at him complaining to us what had happened to him.

5 hours ago, Welster said:

A couple of years ago we had a boat on Boatsales and gumtree.   The boat was in top condition and we were asking for the price to match.

We had a few come to look at it from Boatsales and liked it but didn't buy for various reasons, mostly it was bigger than they imagined it and storage in their situation wouldn't work.   The eventual buyer came from gumtree at the advertised price.  One viewing a water test a few days later and that was it.

I remember a few low ballers but I would ignore them or play games with them.   I never give out my address until they are leaving home and on their way.   To many no shows wasting time otherwise. 

I always give an address up the road.

the local fire brigade station, ? Its 6 doors up.

that way when they ring and say we're here!

but do you live in the fire station?

haha, (i laugh) and say I'll stand out the front and if you head east watch for me.

works every time.

the ones that got the address,  that I never hear from will never know,?

10 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I probably shouldn't say this but I like to have a good time with my work mates and thought I would get one of them a beauty.

So I photographed his car one day and put it up for sale at a very low price giving his mobile phone number and name.

To say he got bombarded didn't do it justice while we all chuckled at him complaining to us what had happened to him.

I like it!

I'll up the bid to a fully working iPhone 5 and $10. 

By the way I just sorted a deal between two friends, one who was wanting to sell his 5m quintrex in excellent condition ( in his 90's and giving up on owning a boat) and the other a friend with $10000 to spend on a boat. Both now very happy.:D

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

:icon_funny:    classic  :D

The sellers are not saint as well!

Do you understand guys how many inconveniences sellers do for genuinely interested buyers by not providing the address after the time for the meeting was agreed?

Once I spent over 10 min with torch from my phone in the 100% darkness after an hour of driving, trying to find the house number that does not exists.

I heard at least 3 times 'call me  30min before you arrive'. In first case - I had to explain that I live 20 min from seller's suburbs. In second case - I have to explain that I  do not know when I will be 30 min away as I have NFI where seller lives. In third case I had to repeat twice that I have to plan the trip in advance as seller lives in the city and sometimes it is  easier and faster to use public transportation and sometimes a car.

Also, seller's responses about the price like  'make me an offer I can't refuse' are no different from low ballers, just a waste of time.

Though probably the most unforgetable comment on Gumtree I got  from buyer - indian taxi driver (when my wife told me to get rid off  large standing fan after moving from hot QLD) - 'You sold me SH!T, It does not blow the hair'. Seriously, in a few minutes I was googling how they blow hair in India.

I respond to low ball offers with, don't you want the motor or are you bringing your own trailer?

Which they usually reply? What, isn't the trailer included, I say not for that price.

P.s

i add heaps of photos from different angles, inside and out, I make sure the item is the only thing in the photo and if I have to I move the item so the photos are worthwhile.

the amount of boats on Gumtree with one crappy side on photo taken on a IPhone 3 in low light is amazing.

i sometime think I could buy the boat or car, clean it up and take some great photos and sell it for a profit.

Edited by jeffb5.8