whats wrong with people

rickmarlin62

:D

I'm sure this goes both ways.  As a buyer in the market now I cannot believe how many boats I have looked at over the last month where the seller is truly delusional at best and an outright liar at worst.

Take my experiences recently. :blush:

One seller tells me that a qualified shipwright has redone the floor and transom of his 30 year old boat in the last year and has receipts to prove it.  I arrive after a 2 hour drive to find soft spots all over and no receipts because he lost them after a move 2 years ago???  Hmm thought it was done last year.

Another has a boat his father owned since new and it is in excellent condition always garaged and washed after use.  Just had a service and the mechanics could find nothing wrong.  Just left outside now because he needed room in the garage.   Pictures look great. I drive another 1hour and a half to find that boat is outside in the chook yard full of chook poo, the gelcoat powdery looking nothing like the pictures in a nice garage and rough patched holes in the hull all over.  Soft spots all over the floor. The father died 5 years ago and I imagine the boat has been a chook coup since then.  I assume the pictures then were at least 5 years ago probably more.

just the other night I look at a 10 year old boat with nice pics and the owner states he has full service records and receipts.  .  I call and actually he doesn't have the service records but his "fully qualified friend" has done all the work and I can call him if I want. 

eBAY  Starting bid is $6000   I have a budget not a great deal more.   Boat is 3 hours away.   I'm thinking of putting a bid on it but don't want to bid without looking at it.  I Don't want to drive 6 hours round trip if my bid is not at the reserve.  I politely explain this to the seller and ask for his reserve.   I get abused and called a low baller and he is not going to let his $18k newish boat be sold for $6000 and he refused to tell me his reserve.    SO WHY start it at $6000  why not start it at the lowest price you would accept???

I'm almost at the point of believing every boat I go to look at it is worth half of what is being asked if not less.

If sellers put a fair price to start and were totally honest with the condition

and

If buyers recognized a fair price and didn't try to weasel down a fair price

The world would be happier :wub:

But,,,,,,

Bear

15 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

:D

I'm sure this goes both ways.  As a buyer in the market now I cannot believe how many boats I have looked at over the last month where the seller is truly delusional at best and an outright liar at worst.

Take my experiences recently. :blush:

One seller tells me that a qualified shipwright has redone the floor and transom of his 30 year old boat in the last year and has receipts to prove it.  I arrive after a 2 hour drive to find soft spots all over and no receipts because he lost them after a move 2 years ago???  Hmm thought it was done last year.

Another has a boat his father owned since new and it is in excellent condition always garaged and washed after use.  Just had a service and the mechanics could find nothing wrong.  Just left outside now because he needed room in the garage.   Pictures look great. I drive another 1hour and a half to find that boat is outside in the chook yard full of chook poo, the gelcoat powdery looking nothing like the pictures in a nice garage and rough patched holes in the hull all over.  Soft spots all over the floor. The father died 5 years ago and I imagine the boat has been a chook coup since then.  I assume the pictures then were at least 5 years ago probably more.

just the other night I look at a 10 year old boat with nice pics and the owner states he has full service records and receipts.  .  I call and actually he doesn't have the service records but his "fully qualified friend" has done all the work and I can call him if I want. 

eBAY  Starting bid is $6000   I have a budget not a great deal more.   Boat is 3 hours away.   I'm thinking of putting a bid on it but don't want to bid without looking at it.  I Don't want to drive 6 hours round trip if my bid is not at the reserve.  I politely explain this to the seller and ask for his reserve.   I get abused and called a low baller and he is not going to let his $18k newish boat be sold for $6000 and he refused to tell me his reserve.    SO WHY start it at $6000  why not start it at the lowest price you would accept???

I'm almost at the point of believing every boat I go to look at it is worth half of what is being asked if not less.

If sellers put a fair price to start and were totally honest with the condition

and

If buyers recognized a fair price and didn't try to weasel down a fair price

The world would be happier :wub:

But,,,,,,

Bear

You really are having a tough time with this boat purchase you poor bugger.Stories like this is one of many reasons people by new.

Keep at it mate, but please bear in mind your looking in a price bracket that you will need to dig through all the rubbish if you want to find a gem amongst it.

I don't know what more to tell you mate as the wasted time,money,travel and frustrations is really unavoidable when buying used especially at the lower end of the spectrum.

I,d be having a rethink if maybe I could increase my budget,lower my expectations and buy a smaller newer boat etc.

Remember you can buy brand new tinnys with warrantys which will get rid of all the headaches with buying used that you can add to as funds permit if you wish.

All the best mate.

I was caught out by one bloke enquiring about a boat I had for sale.

Got a call from this guy very interested in a two year Haines signature I had for sale, he seemed very happy with the price but wanted to have a good run in the boat to see how it would handle runs out to Montague Island.

He turned up smartly dressed with a woman he seemed keen to impress, they were in an open top very expensive little sports car. 

After heading offshore in rather sloppy conditions and heading to each whale or pod of dolphins we spotted I decided the trip further out to Montague would be just to sloppy for new boaties. It was then he started to become a little insistent having promised the lady a trip to see the seals at Montague. 

The more I spoke with the lady the more I realised this guy was just after a free local tour in each town they stayed at. They had already been in many boats joy riding up the coast from Melbourne. They even had a list of boats lined up for the trip on up to the Whitsunday's. I asked what vehicle he was planning to tow any boat that he buys with only for a reply he'd never thought of towing a boat. By this time I couldn't wait to see the back of him and couldn't believe I been part of his east coast free tour plan.

Next enquiry was also someone from Melbourne who bought the boat without even trying to knock me down at all.

I also drove from Narooma to view a boat in great condition in Noosa, on arrival found the engine wouldn't run (just plugs the owner claimed)

The hull had been split down the middle and simply had fibreglass strips stuck all the way down the outside of the hull and painted in black tar. The trailer which was claimed to be as new was also painted in tar. Turned around and drove all the way home in a horrendous thunderstorm with my 7 month pregnant wife feeling pretty mad. 

The following week drove to Brisbane to view another pile of crud that was advertised as great condition

Edited by JonD

2 hours ago, JonD said:

I was caught out by one bloke enquiring about a boat I had for sale.

The more I spoke with the lady the more I realised this guy was just after a free local tour in each town they stayed at. They had already been in many boats joy riding up the coast from Melbourne. They even had a list of boats lined up for the trip on up to the Whitsunday's. I asked what vehicle he was planning to tow any boat that he buys with only for a reply he'd never thought of towing a boat. By this time I couldn't wait to see the back of him and couldn't believe I been part of his east coast free tour plan.

It would have been about then I would have faked a Break down and just floated around for a few hours, especially if I had a Rod and some bait or SPs.

Hi Raiders,

I am a long time Gumtree user. Yet, I had sold a lot of items from Gumtree  and of course I had a lot of low ballers anyway. They are (low ballers) who don't really annoy me because they have the right to bargain down for their hard earn money and for that reason they are in Gumtree. What really annoys me is the Seller who sell his/her 10 years old boat for the price of brand new boat.

Cheers

18 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

Hi Raiders,

I am a long time Gumtree user. Yet, I had sold a lot of items from Gumtree  and of course I had a lot of low ballers anyway. They are (low ballers) who don't really annoy me because they have the right to bargain down for their hard earn money and for that reason they are in Gumtree. What really annoys me is the Seller who sell his/her 10 years old boat for the price of brand new boat.

Cheers

Bear In mind that owners that have bought brand new boats have invested a lot of time and money further into them by adding say the latest and greatest sounders,trolling motors,engines etc too.

Im yet to see a used boat that's been bought from a dealer "Un modified" sold for the same money10yrs later.

Just selling a tinny now and are having the same issues with Gumtree.

Have listed the min offer that I will accept for offers, but they then text me when the offer can not be sent to me.

I am having offers of half the value being sent by txt.

I thank them for their offer, but are getting somewhat annoyed.....

4 hours ago, sydney south said:

Just selling a tinny now and are having the same issues with Gumtree.

Have listed the min offer that I will accept for offers, but they then text me when the offer can not be sent to me.

I am having offers of half the value being sent by txt.

I thank them for their offer, but are getting somewhat annoyed.....

I have taken my mobile off most of my gumtree ads to force the communication through the Gumtree site...any stupid offers get a reply of "hahaha". ... or "please be serious".

Cheers

Zoran

17 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@sydney south Any reason why it isn't listed in fishraider Swap and Sell?

Hi Donna, Maybe its because one of the Swap and Sell site rules is that you cannot have your ad listed on Fishraider and another site - like Gumtree. I found it restrictive.

Cheers

Zoran

3 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Hi Donna, Maybe its because one of the Swap and Sell site rules is that you cannot have your ad listed on Fishraider and another site - like Gumtree. I found it restrictive.

Cheers

Zoran

I agree mate and don't blame you from  putting adds elsewhere. sites I follow have similar rules that discourages members from posting due to similar circumstances.When selling something you want to attract as many prospective buyers as possible and when sites have all these types of rules for this and that they effectively shoot themselves in the foot when members don't post.

Maybe the site can lighten the rules just a little in this regard Donna.Just my thoughts.

5 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers

Zoran

Sure we did that because we had a lot of complaints from members because when they went to buy or enquire on here they were told "oh I sold that ages ago on blah blah"

We also had some pretty shifty stuff happening many years ago and I almost closed it down.

Unlike some of the other sites we do not charge for ads and sorry you find it restrictive but mods that watch that section are volunteers.

If you are not getting any luck on these other sites then try on here Zoran by all means. Make sure that you message the mod if it is sold or you want the ad removed.

@jeffb5.8 too true that point - make sure you follow the template for placing the ad!!

mrswordie

3 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

If you are not getting any luck on these other sites then try on here Zoran by all means. Make sure that you message the mod if it is sold or you want the ad removed.

That's the key.Have the item removed as soon as it's sold from all sites.

3 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

43 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Sure we did that because we had a lot of complaints from members because when they went to buy or enquire on here they were told "oh I sold that ages ago on blah blah"

We also had some pretty shifty stuff happening many years ago and I almost closed it down.

Unlike some of the other sites we do not charge for ads and sorry you find it restrictive but mods that watch that section are volunteers.

@jeffb5.8 too true that point - make sure you follow the template for placing the ad!!

mrswordie

Sure... I've posted on swap and sell previously and had a successful sale (also made a fishraider friend as a bonus) and then promptly deleted the ad.  I really didn't want to start a debate as I appreciate there are different approaches and reasons behind them. The point I made was that the implementation Fishraider has chosen restricts the genuine guys that want to sell their stuff because of a few lazy people that can't be bothered to manage their affairs - these people will behave in their poor way on whichever site they go. Another approach could have been to allow folks to advertise here and restrict the offenders that don't manage their ads from further posting on Fishraider swap and sell. Encourage the good - smack the bad.  Personally I like and respect fishraider so I won't break the rules. I have several items for sale on other sites and recently sold 130m of rope, a 30cm buoy and ezy-lift device etc on Gumtree. I didn't advertise here as I hit a bigger population on Gumtree but these items could have easily been of interest and use to raiders as well. So as Fab said -  as a seller I just needed to get rid of them as quickly as possible.

Anyway I'll leave it to @sydney south to respond.

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
correct error

Thanks Zoran appreciate your thoughts. You and anyone else can always message me re any issues, suggestions or gripes. It's an open door. 

Swap and Sell on here was and is only just a place for raiders to offer items to other members. They are of course a targeted audience. We locked it down a little as we had people join just to shift stuff. We removed boats from it for a few years too. All in all it was a pain in the $&@& to monitor all the activity that went on.

Hope you all sell your gear and get good prices wherever you post them ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A follow up on my sale.

Had my tinny up for sale for a few months now.

As mentioned previously in the thread, I have all sorts of tossers either ring, txt me or message me with offers of half the advertised value.

Anyway had a fellow and his son come and have a look yesterday. They looked at the boat, asked genuine questions, did not bag the boat and made an offer.

The offer was about 15% under my advertised price and was in my ball park.

Deal done and great people to deal with.

So there still are some good people to deal with out there......

30 minutes ago, sydney south said:

A follow up on my sale.

Had my tinny up for sale for a few months now.

As mentioned previously in the thread, I have all sorts of tossers either ring, txt me or message me with offers of half the advertised value.

Anyway had a fellow and his son come and have a look yesterday. They looked at the boat, asked genuine questions, did not bag the boat and made an offer.

The offer was about 15% under my advertised price and was in my ball park.

Deal done and great people to deal with.

So there still are some good people to deal with out there......

I think it's a matter of playing the patience game and not letting the tyre kickers get to you.

• 3 years later...

My theory is people can't be bothered with small talk. It's easier saying what they need to by text and less embarrassing for them when they offer you a tenth of your asking price..

Besides right now we are all talking by a way of text are we not?

Communication,relationship beginnings and endings over the phone or face to face is becoming one of the lost arts.It's a miserable,lonely world we live in.It's sad really.

At work in our lunch room there must be 30 guys or more sitting right next to each other having lunch.Guess what every single one of them is doing instead of talking with each other?Playing on their phone on Facebook,texting etc.Ages range from early 20's to 70's.There is no hope left mate look around everywhere.Restaurants,stations,malls,heck people driving.

I feel like punching them all in the face at work  and piss off outside to our bbq area on my own and feed the possums.Yes we have possums and i work nights.