Braidwood area trout fishing

Salty trout

Hi guys just wanted to know if anyone on here has had experience with flyfishing for trout around the Braidwood nsw area in its creeks and tributaries . All i can find on the net is that they may have once been there but no recent reports . Also what is the general consensus on what a creek has to have : size , flow, elevation etc to hold trout in nsw . Any info would help . Cheers

hey Salty trout,

I can't speak for the fishing but I've paddled .. can't exactly recall the distance, probably 6 or 7kms of the Shoalhaven as it runs toward and past Braidwood. This was year's ago and after a lot of rain. We were chasing rapids not fish and I wasn't fishing much at the time but even so it struck me as a very nice looking stretch of water for fishing. We did see fish, couldn't tell what but I would be money they were carp - big surface swirls left in the muddy water from fish fleeing when they spotted us.

Anyway, there's some very pretty water there and it's easy big enough and interesting enough, and when we went, winter, cold enough to house trout.

Edited by HenryR

I've never fished there however it's definitely stocked with trout every year, Bill James mentions in his book that the Mongarlowe is the best stream in that area. 

Edited by cfish

On 27/08/2017 at 11:42 AM, New Signing said:

the shoalhaven near there holds bass, carp and certainly in years gone by ive seen what looked like trout

On 27/08/2017 at 11:55 AM, Croydon said:

Can't help with any first hand information, but you might try the Braidwood Fishing Club who are on facebook or meet at the Servicemens Club in Braidwood.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.........

Dave

Good idea dave , will do . 

Cheers