Electric or Ratchet type jockey wheel.

jeffb5.8

Hi all

so I am moving house and the new place has a 6m x 6m double garage.

my boat on the trailer is 7.2mtrs, so i have to put the boat sideways across the garage to allow the garage door to close.

there is a slight maybe 10deg upwards slope on the driveway but the garage is flat, level and smooth concrete floor.

once I get the boat most of the way in the draw bar is still on this slope and although I haven't tried yet, I think it will be a hard task to muscle the boat into the correct angle.

so I thought I would buy either a electric jockey wheel or the Ratchet type. I did also think about go go jacks for sideways movement.

has anyone used either the elect or Ratchet type of jockey wheel and is there a good brand you can recommend.

boat weighs 1,400kg loaded I think.

I had the same issue with my old boat and found a modified trolley jack worked brilliantly for the task.I had a towball mounted in the jack instead of the saddle and was very manoeuvrable.I know you probably don't want to go to that extreme.If you lack strength/bodyweight, I'd go the electric jockey wheel.

Repco have a trolley dolly which has twin wheels, towball and a handle,

I guess it is similar to what Fab mentioned above, from there I should be able to muscle it into place as it doesn't have to go far we are only talking 1 or two meters total.

Just now, jeffb5.8 said:

Repco have a trolley dolly which has twin wheels, towball and a handle,

I guess it is similar to what Fab mentioned above, from there I should be able to muscle it into place as it doesn't have to go far we are only talking 1 or two meters total.

The big hardware sells dollies too that may be of intrest.You only need to move it a little so I'd be inclined to use what does the job for you.

I have the ratchet type jockey wheel. I used to have to manoeuvre my boat and trailer across and up onto a slab. It was the only way I could do it on my own. I couldn't lift the front of the trailer. Eventually I had the dealer move the axle forward. That made it a bit easier. I don't really need it at  my new place  but it's still handy.

Edited by Berleyguts

Just a thought!

i put an extra jocky wheel on my car trailer and also changed from pump up to solid wheels, and it made a big difference moving it around on concrete, easier to steer and push.

so it now has double jocky wheels exactly opposite each other on the front drawbar. 

Edited by Trailcraft43

Hey Brain fish

i can get my hands on a electric boat which and had thought about mounting it and using that to drag it in. Although it's a rental so I may not be allowed to drill holes.

Will see how I go after moving in this weekend. 

The tlratchet wheel should do the job for you OK. Reverse the trailer far enough in but still allow for swinging room. You then move the trailer using the ratchet and you're steering from the same point, with only minimal pushing from the bow, if at all. An electric dolly would be the duck's nuts but I couldn't afford one!

23 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

The tlratchet wheel should do the job for you OK. Reverse the trailer far enough in but still allow for swinging room. You then move the trailer using the ratchet and you're steering from the same point, with only minimal pushing from the bow, if at all. An electric dolly would be the duck's nuts but I couldn't afford one!

From my brief Ebay search and online there is only about $80 difference plus a battery between the ratchet and electric.

The battery I can get 2nd for free, so will see how I go this weekend .

Raging

I will need to wait until I buy a new place and build our home before I ask for anymore toys, this rental doesn't have enough room.

I've got a similar issue trying to manoeuvre my 6.2M fibreglass BMT into an alcove in besides my garage. The trailer is dual axle, so trying to perform on the spot turns is impossible because one axle pivots and the other axle drags. 

Ive thought about ratchet and electric jockey wheels but I reckon they would lose traction given the amount of drive required in my situation. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. They may well work in your situation. 

I've also thought about a method to use a pair of low slung 4 wheeled car trolleys on one axle/pair of wheels. ( But the hassle of inserting them and removing them would not make it worthwhile for me.) Maybe that's what others have described above, I don't know what the proper name for them is. 

Maybe it's easier to upgrade the house ha ha ha  ( not funny I know ) 

On 01/09/2017 at 9:15 PM, 552Evo said:

I've got a similar issue trying to manoeuvre my 6.2M fibreglass BMT into an alcove in besides my garage. The trailer is dual axle, so trying to perform on the spot turns is impossible because one axle pivots and the other axle drags. 

Ive thought about ratchet and electric jockey wheels but I reckon they would lose traction given the amount of drive required in my situation. But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise. They may well work in your situation. 

I've also thought about a method to use a pair of low slung 4 wheeled car trolleys on one axle/pair of wheels. ( But the hassle of inserting them and removing them would not make it worthwhile for me.) Maybe that's what others have described above, I don't know what the proper name for them is. 

Maybe it's easier to upgrade the house ha ha ha  ( not funny I know ) 

The ratchet jockey wheel works best when lowered but if you wind it up high enough, you may be able to get the front pair of wheels off the ground slightly. This makes it a lot easier to swing a tandem trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply (2 weeks later) 

yes thanks Berleyguts, I've tried that with my jockey wheel at full extension and the front wheels are well and truly still gripped onto the ground. 

So with a ratchet wheel I'm guessing it will be the same situation. 

Its a great upper body work out heaving the BMT in and out and sideways I'll give it that. 

Its just it actually is dangerous doing it solo if it's wet or the ground is dewey early in the morning. 

I've slipped once in an early morning and came within a whisker of smashing my face on the drawer bar, because all the upper body force to lug the BMT and slippery concrete don't mix. 

Edited by 552Evo