Trailcraft43

Boating disasters, your best or worst!

4 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Launch the boat at Rydalmere on Sunday, the ramp was packed and there was lots of first timers or people who don't use their boats a lot.

One guy blocked two lanes as he could not reverse a trailer, but then wouldn't re adjust it to allow others to launch.

Guy had a broken winch, but didn't put the trailer in far enough and was using a ratchet strap to try and drag the boat on, Once they put the trailer in further it floated on, that took 20mins.

The markers at Rydalmere (Parra River)  when heading downstream are on the opposite side of the river (Wentworth Point Side) to the Rydalmere ramp. I watched a 28ft cruiser with 7 on board pull away from the ramp and while excited they stayed left of the green marker right through the mudflats, lucky it was high tide but the amount of mud they stirred up was huge.

Parking at the ramp was made worse because there was so many single cars parked in trailer parking it was hard to find a spot after launching. So were out onto the street.

Its only going to get worse from here on in.I for one will be avoiding weekends like the plague.

Feel sorry for those that can't fish weekdays or nights putting up with that. 

Normally its a busy ramp, but Sunday was the most packed I have seen it in the last few years, I had to stop and think was there a Fireworks show or something on.

It was as busy as New Years Eve.

My worst boating disaster was when I was 17yo. 

My boss at the time had bought a new/second hand boat. He thought it would be good if we both got our license, so we did. (He paid )

Anyway, late one Friday arvo he asks me if I wanted to go fishing in the Hawkesbury and I could take a couple of mates! Sweet! He was driving, me and my mates get to fish and a beer or two along the way. 

We launched at Berowa and while he was parking the car I noticed water coming in. I was very inexperienced in boating at the time but knew this wasn’t right. I yell out and he says start the motor! Well that wouldn’t start either. So the boats sinking and I find one oar and managed to paddle back to the ramp. The boss being a bit of a mechanic, fixes the boat and off we go! By now it’s about 8pm. We find a spot to drift but no fish in two hours and now it’s starting rain. No Bimini or cover and not prepared for the downpour that was now happening we headed back to the ramp! Drenched, tired and no fish, we load the boat and head for home. Well the nightmare didn’t stop there. On the way home, I had fallen a sleep from a long day and unfortunately so did my boss! I awoke to the sound of screeching tyres and the boss yelling “Agh f$&k”. Next my head hit the dashboard and we came to a stop. As I looked up I could see the boat sliding past us down the hill and come to a stop! I asked if everyone is alright and we were all fine! Thank god! Anyway, as I tried to get out the van I open the door to a 15ft drop as we were perched on the side of a hill. When we finally got out, we noticed the trailer had hooked itself around a tree stopping us from going off the cliff.

Never felt luckier in my life than I did that night! It taught me plenty of lessons in boating and safety is paramount! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

My worst boating disaster was when I was 17yo. 

My boss at the time had bought a new/second hand boat. He thought it would be good if we both got our license, so we did. (He paid )

Anyway, late one Friday arvo he asks me if I wanted to go fishing in the Hawkesbury and I could take a couple of mates! Sweet! He was driving, me and my mates get to fish and a beer or two along the way. 

We launched at Berowa and while he was parking the car I noticed water coming in. I was very inexperienced in boating at the time but knew this wasn’t right. I yell out and he says start the motor! Well that wouldn’t start either. So the boats sinking and I find one oar and managed to paddle back to the ramp. The boss being a bit of a mechanic, fixes the boat and off we go! By now it’s about 8pm. We find a spot to drift but no fish in two hours and now it’s starting rain. No Bimini or cover and not prepared for the downpour that was now happening we headed back to the ramp! Drenched, tired and no fish, we load the boat and head for home. Well the nightmare didn’t stop there. On the way home, I had fallen a sleep from a long day and unfortunately so did my boss! I awoke to the sound of screeching tyres and the boss yelling “Agh f$&k”. Next my head hit the dashboard and we came to a stop. As I looked up I could see the boat sliding past us down the hill and come to a stop! I asked if everyone is alright and we were all fine! Thank god! Anyway, as I tried to get out the van I open the door to a 15ft drop as we were perched on the side of a hill. When we finally got out, we noticed the trailer had hooked itself around a tree stopping us from going off the cliff.

Never felt luckier in my life than I did that night! It taught me plenty of lessons in boating and safety is paramount! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Crikey Scratchie, that's the sort of lesson you want to learn big time from. You must be very grateful that you all survived to tell the story...and learn from it. Cheers, bn

• Like 1

Purchased my first ever boat 5 or so years ago with the help of the father in law. I had a lot of experience fishing but no experience with boats so I took everything my father in law said as the word of god. 

Purchased a v150 nautiglass on a Saturday great condition well looked after and had her maiden voyage on the sunday around Brisbane Waters. The trip was going well up around rip bridge down paddies channel this way and that way. After awhile I started to become worried about fuel so I asked the father in law should we take the quick root back to the ramp or go the scenic long way to which he responded "No she'll be right - plenty of fuel take the scenic root!'

She was not right...she did not have plenty of fuel. We got half way across the open water towards Gosford boat ramp before the motor started to cut in and out and finally died. I instantly knew what the issue was. Unfortunately we also had my wife and mother in law in the boat which made things extra exciting. After much cursing and arguments I decided the easiest thing to do would be to call Marine Rescue for a tow.

Tomorrow my father in law & I are due for a long drive to buy a new to us boat....another nautiglass v150...but there will be no "She'll be right" on this boat. 

• Haha 2