first week of spring Nambucca River

dirvin21

For the first week of spring finally managed to get out and get some fishing in.

A couple of night sessions under the bridge lights only produced a high 40's flathead

20170822_210959.jpg

The opportunity to hit the river with a mate in his boat, perfect weather, water looked awesome it was a sure thing except the fish didn't agree  after 2 hours casting for nothing came up to a bridge pylon landed a perfect cast with the "cranka crab" this was a fish deserving cast and it was engulfed had to grab the spool to avoid being buried and after what seemed like an eternity a respectable bream came aboard

20170902_133939.jpg

apologies for the photo quality

then after another hour of casting hardbodies at the edges finally another take again the fish went hard, not a big bream but a fish atleast

20170902_145958.jpg

Two days later and decided to put in a landbased session again after 2 1/2 hours of fruitless casting frustration was creeping in, as a last ditch effort I hit my beloved highway tree. First thing I see are bream feeding around the submerged branches a stealthy cast and slow twitch pause retrieve and I'm onto one of them not the biggest in the school but still satisfying

20170906_113515.jpg

With the bream now quiet and acres of small baitfish sped up my retrieve and straight away a small big eye trevally

20170828_120250.jpg

kept plugging away and sure enough another big eye this one a bit bigger

20170906_113759.jpg

Then noticed some trevs shredding up bait a bit further up river made my way up punched a cast in and bang a proper take and after a solid fight keeping him out of the timber out comes a mid 30's bigeye

20170906_115344.jpg

another cast straight back for another better trev and out comes the world's smallest GT

20170906_121207.jpg

that was it for the week, worked hard but that's what makes the fish landed all the more satisfying

hopefully the warmer weather will bring better fishing

Dave