Forgot the rods

JonD

Ok i didn't forget I deliberately left them behind. With my eldest daughter up in Sydney to meet Roger Swainston ( the guy who does those amazing pictures and paintings of fish ) I headed out with the other kids for a little wildlife photography. 

We found around 60 humpbacks feeding the offshore side of Montague in groups of around six animals. These had to be some of the most inquisitive whales we've yet encountered as they soon moved in so close my daughter couldn't focus on them. At times we would have a couple lay under the boat with several just circling around us, I thought I was filming the best of it but realised I had pressed the off bottom on my camera as I held it above my head pointing down to the front of our boat with (dam).

It was my younger daughters first encounter of humpbacks up close and was almost brought to tears with excitement. 

I love getting my boat among the large waves that break at the southern end on the island, theres a line I where I can get my boat between two sets of breaking waves where nobody ever ventures. This little spot gives the kids a great chance of getting the odd good wave photo, this was both of their first attempts.

_MG_9483.jpg

_MG_9522.jpg

_MG_9537.jpg

_MG_0126.jpg

_MG_0133.jpg

_MG_0170.jpg

_MG_0212.jpg

_MG_0231.jpg

_MG_0241.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

JonD 

Absolutely Brilliant ....... amazing photography  ...!!!!!!!

What a great place Montague Island ....

And So many Whales there all at the one time too ...

Such a wonderful place , no wonder you left the rods at home !!

Great_White

""At times we would have a couple lay under the boat with several just circling around us""

It was back in about 1966 or so, I was about 18 years old and off Wollongong about 6 miles out in a 17' Pongrass and the wales were in a playful mood, one rather large one dove under the boat like a submarine trying to avoid a surface torpedo, at the time we thought this was wonderful, next thing we know we were about 15 ' in the air on the back of this monster, it happened that quickly although it felt it was in slow motion, lucky for us the boat slid upright off the whales back as it submerged again, we never seen that whale again. We quickly gathered our thoughts started the motor and got back to the ramp as quick as possible.

You talk about close encounters with whales !! well I have been as close as I ever want to get near them.

Later talking with an expert on the subject he told us it's not uncommon for a whale to scratch it's back on the bottom of a boats hull.

Just something you may like to consider next time you are enjoying their company.

Besides that they are wonderful photos and indeed an experience of a lifetime.

Frank

36 minutes ago, frankS said:

""At times we would have a couple lay under the boat with several just circling around us""

It was back in about 1966 or so, I was about 18 years old and off Wollongong about 6 miles out in a 17' Pongrass and the wales were in a playful mood, one rather large one dove under the boat like a submarine trying to avoid a surface torpedo, at the time we thought this was wonderful, next thing we know we were about 15 ' in the air on the back of this monster, it happened that quickly although it felt it was in slow motion, lucky for us the boat slid upright off the whales back as it submerged again, we never seen that whale again. We quickly gathered our thoughts started the motor and got back to the ramp as quick as possible.

You talk about close encounters with whales !! well I have been as close as I ever want to get near them.

Later talking with an expert on the subject he told us it's not uncommon for a whale to scratch it's back on the bottom of a boats hull.

Just something you may like to consider next time you are enjoying their company.

Besides that they are wonderful photos and indeed an experience of a lifetime.

Frank

Yep had them rub under the boat before. Having them so close isn't something we ever try to do, simply because accidents can very easely happen, also all life jackets were on. While this situation could be dangerouse, running anywhere outside in a boat at the moment is equally dangerouse if a whale pops up as you are skimming along at 20-30 knots.

Ive also been in the water during heat runs as well as photographed them mateing ( in Tonga under strict permits ). 

Going to head out shortly as one of my daughters finishes school early today, not sure what he plan is yet.

Edited by JonD

1 hour ago, sam bros said:

Do your kids still attend school?

Seems like they are on the water all the time

nice photos

Yep all at school, eldest finishes early today so is just getting the boat ready for an afternoon session. We hit the water after school as well most weekends. 

Some great photos. When they have surfaced off Cronulla beside my 14 foot tinnie, you realize how big they are.

The best part is that this is all for free (apart from fuel). People pay good money to see the whales - and seals, dolphins, sharks, penguins, bird life - and these critters just cruise past your little boats.

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Nice pics! But I would have had to take at least one rod with me :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers for all the comments everyone :D

Its rare to not take any rods but with this daughter who will only come out if we don't fish where the other one will only come out if we have everything just incase.