Mako battle (I lost)

Brew

Hi All,

Managed to get out yesterday for a solo session on my boat. Left Akuna Bay around mid morning and got out past Barrenjoey shortly after. Trolled around for a few hours and managed to get a few just legal tailor and barracouta. Birds everywhere.

IMG_1625.JPG

Not long after getting a barracouta my halco pro got absolutely slammed with line screaming for a good minute. I left it in the holder while I got the other line in and finally after about 150 metres it jumped. A massive mako. I only had 60lb mono leader on so I thought this won't last long.

It jumped a few more times easily clearing the water by a couple of metres and goings crazy. Managed to hold on for 30 minutes and got it to within 10 metres of the boat before it had enough, thrashed again, and bit me off. I got a decent look at it and it was well over my height so I'm guessing 2.5 metres ++

On mono I'm calling it catch and release!

Called it a day as it doesn't get much better than that, headed back in and took a few photos of these guys on the way back. They are on a rock off Barrenjoey headland.

IMG_1638.JPG

Great morning to be out.

Cheers

Brew