Land based kings

BO'Brien

Hey coasties just looking for some advice to chase my first kingie. Firstly what is the best time of the year to fish for these? Im thinking catching squid at the haven then trying off the haven point using it as bait. What type of leader and rig should i be running. Cant wait. :DCheers

G'day mate,

Cant help much with the Haven area, but the best setup to use landbased would be 20lb braid mainline and a 30-40lb leader depending on structure, maybe heavier if you are around rocks. I usually use a running sinker down to one of those Gamakatsu 6/0 live bait hooks, and then I just cut the squid up into strips so you can save your squid, rather than throwing out a whole. Hope this helps! 

I agree with flattiefisher, anytime from December i find it starts to get good, with April/May being the prime time.

Although squid is a top bait for kings, I'd be saving those precious squid for mulloway or the pan! Yakkas are easy to come by on the rocks at anytime and are very hardy.

I generally just use a live Yakka with a 7/0 hook lightly pinned in the shoulder with approx 1.5mtrs of 80lb trace with a small running ball sinker, a torpedo float and a ball bearing swivel (connected in that order).
I like to have a fixed float, so i carry some elastic bands and tie a knot on the line with an elastic band so it keeps the float up near the swivel. 
Its also a good idea to take some pilchards and throw a half pilchard unweighted in the wash whilst you have your livebait out, theres been plenty of times where I've had a livey out and its the unweighted pillie at my feet that gets taken by kings and big bream!

Guest Guest123456789

December to May (varies year to year). Squid or garfish are good baits. You'll prefer the ledge to yourself to bait(rare). More of a spinning ledge.