mulloway

Gutamouth

I can relate to your post. The whole the sequence, finding a spot, beach worms in metho or freshly pulled, thrill of landing a jew on the beach after a bit of a tussle and that strange musky smell. Even better feeling releasing them in to grow a few more for kgs.

Nice catch, well done.

Awesome, well done!

I just googled where it was and it said Mullaway, NSW. I'm sure most knew this but I found it funny.

Worms are my go-to bait for jew off the beach (preferably king worms). Can I ask what rig you used and how much worm? As you were catching tarwhine also I'm assuming the hook was quite small (I use a size 2 or 1/0 at the largest). For me I've found the more worm the better which sometimes deters the smaller fish.

Anyway great post!

Cheers, James

2 hours ago, RexSenior said:

Awesome, well done!

I just googled where it was and it said Mullaway, NSW. I'm sure most knew this but I found it funny.

Worms are my go-to bait for jew off the beach (preferably king worms). Can I ask what rig you used and how much worm? As you were catching tarwhine also I'm assuming the hook was quite small (I use a size 2 or 1/0 at the largest). For me I've found the more worm the better which sometimes deters the smaller fish.

Anyway great post!

Cheers, James

Thanks James, pretty funny how its named mullaway I first saw it on the map and was like "yep definitely going there" lol

Completely agree about worms off the beach for bait, it's all I use now since Ive learnt how to catch them. I was using a pretty simple rig that works alright, 20lb mono mainline with a running sinker clip, then a small glow in the dark rubber bead, joined to a 100lb swivel, then about 600mm of 40lb fluorocarbon to a 5/0 Owner long shank worm hook, they're a 5101-151. Another good hook is a Gamagatsu 01315. The owner hooks are offset and hold the bait in place a little better. Lately too rather than Snelling the leader onto the shank, ive been tieing a uni knot to the hook so the tag end protrudes back up the line, then snip it leaving about a 20mm  tag. Then when you thread the worm up the line it acts as a bit of a stopper so the worm stays in place rather than sliding down and bunching up. It definitely helps ;)

I try use half a big worm, and if it's smaller I'll just use the whole thing, starting from the tail end and leave the head dangling near the barb. Better having the best part of the worm near the hook rather than up the line i reckon. Hope that helps ya! 

27 minutes ago, Gutamouth said:

Thanks James, pretty funny how its named mullaway I first saw it on the map and was like "yep definitely going there" lol

Completely agree about worms off the beach for bait, it's all I use now since Ive learnt how to catch them. I was using a pretty simple rig that works alright, 20lb mono mainline with a running sinker clip, then a small glow in the dark rubber bead, joined to a 100lb swivel, then about 600mm of 40lb fluorocarbon to a 5/0 Owner long shank worm hook, they're a 5101-151. Another good hook is a Gamagatsu 01315. The owner hooks are offset and hold the bait in place a little better. Lately too rather than Snelling the leader onto the shank, ive been tieing a uni knot to the hook so the tag end protrudes back up the line, then snip it leaving about a 20mm  tag. Then when you thread the worm up the line it acts as a bit of a stopper so the worm stays in place rather than sliding down and bunching up. It definitely helps ;)

I try use half a big worm, and if it's smaller I'll just use the whole thing, starting from the tail end and leave the head dangling near the barb. Better having the best part of the worm near the hook rather than up the line i reckon. Hope that helps ya! 

Cheers mate that helps a lot.

Just getting some new options as summer approaches. Such a hard fish to target but so rewarding! I have a lot of friends and family that pretty much beg for fresh fish and as I don't often catch many I keep most of them. Full credit to you for releasing this one, most wouldn't :)

P.S. I'm only a couple of years into finally getting jew off the beach is there any reason you go with such a large hook? That's the size I use for live baits however I thought with a worm the hook would still protrude fine when much smaller? (Trying to conceal)

Thanks again for the feedback

16 hours ago, Regan said:

got the same combo as you mate,

nice jewie and flathead

Cheers man, its a little 2000 Daiwa Capricorn with a 7ft Ballistic-x. They're nice and lightweight ay it's a good outfit for the bream and flatties

16 hours ago, RexSenior said:

P.S. I'm only a couple of years into finally getting jew off the beach is there any reason you go with such a large hook? That's the size I use for live baits however I thought with a worm the hook would still protrude fine when much smaller? (Trying to conceal)

Thanks again for the feedback

No worries James :) I rarely go out chasing a feed mate so pretty much all the fish I catch are released. 

I'm relatively new to the scene too defo no expert lol. the hooks aren't actually that large, they're a perfect inbetween size I think. You won't get many whiting using them but still hook the odd bream etc, whilst still being strong enough to hold onto something bigger. Size of the hooks I generally try to match to the size of the bait im using. 5/0 long shank for worms, two snelled 8/0 suicides for squid or slabs, etc etc :)

17 hours ago, humesy said:

Have definitely experienced the smell of jewies in the surf from the beach. I thought I was going mad but the smell is unmistakeable. I have read theories that they rub the sand to bring up the worms with their scent.

Yeah mate I wasn't sure about it at first either but once you smell it it's unmistakable. Ive smelt them before off the rocks once too when they were holding in close right infront of the ledge ya fish from.

It was like a mix between beached seaweed and raw metal, if that makes any sense ?