Sea sickness

Fufu

Hi Raiders

Just after some tips if anyone can help me with sea sickness?

I never used to get sea sick back when I was younger but now I get sick almost every time I go out on a boat

Ive tried kwell tablets with no success. I've also tried eating light the night before with good sleep. 

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this. E.g another brand etc. 

A friend did mention going to a doctor and getting them to make a up a pill specific to your body?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated 

Fufu

My mates swear by the tablets Andrew Ettinghousen gets, they get sea sick in the bath, yet take these and are able to go outside in clam days and all day in Harbours and rivers.

they order through a chemist or something in Sutherland and are all natural I think.

will try and get the name and address and PM u.

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

My mates swear by the tablets Andrew Ettinghousen gets, they get sea sick in the bath, yet take these and are able to go outside in clam days and all day in Harbours and rivers.

they order through a chemist or something in Sutherland and are all natural I think.

Much appreciated 

Fufu

42 minutes ago, sam bros said:

You can also try Travacalm 

There are also compression bands/bracelets that may help, although this is more of a placebo effect rather than scientific

11 minutes ago, Roylo said:

Travacalm works well for me. Not the Natural/ herbal ones, the proper ones.

The pressure bracelets definitely do work also, but not as well as the tablets.

I have tried travel calm. No luck. Although I can't remember they were the natural ones

I have thought about the bracelets but I have my doubts

Although I'm at the stage where I'll try anything lol

Fufu

2 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Last I heard it was from a Chemist in Caringbah.

Try sending a email to escape with et for more info.

Take one dose of preferred tablet, quells, travel calm, or whatever the chemist or doctor recommends the night before, then another dose at the recommended hour or so before the trip as the evening dose has a long term effect  for seasickness and does not cause as much side effect as a double dose .  Some of my friends who had severe seasickness use this method, but of course check with the chemist or doctor that this is OK.

1 hour ago, saltrix said:

Take one dose of preferred tablet, quells, travel calm, or whatever the chemist or doctor recommends the night before, then another dose at the recommended hour or so before the trip as the evening dose has a long term effect  for seasickness and does not cause as much side effect as a double dose .  Some of my friends who had severe seasickness use this method, but of course check with the chemist or doctor that this is OK.

Yes I do this on long day sea trips as well...

I used them and haven't been sick. I still feel seedy. I find that if I'm retying too much then

that makes it worse. Bloody annoying. I rang 1300 seasick and they sent me the pills.

That was an interesting conversation because I think initially, I rang the wrong number

and had a weird conversation with the lady on the end. I suspect that I rang a gentlemans

club as they were very cagey about the price until I said that i wanted seasickness pills.

I've heard that dry toast before you go out helps, avoid caffine and milk, although

I think one of the ingredients in the pills is caffeine.  They are big blue pills so if you get the wrong ones

at least if you are dying on the floor of the boat, you won't roll over!

10 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Available from Bova Compounding chemists in Caringbah. 02 9525 3044. They were @29.95 for 10.

This is the place and they are the tablets that we use. Best result for minimum side effects comapred to all the others from my experience. That is all we ever use. You used to be able to order over the phone and get them delivered, but i think it is a different number to the chemist for that. They should be able to point you in the right direction. 

Regarding other tablets TRAVACALM (Blue and White Box are the proper ones) are a completely different product to Travel Calm (normally just ginger tablets). Lots of people get these confused because they sound similar. TRAVACALM also make a "natural" one (red box) that are pretty much just ginger. I woulndn't bother with those.

Avomine is an effective sea-sickness medication and I know it is used by navy personnel who get seasick however, it will make you drowsy and it is recommended that you take it before bed the night before as previously recommended by other users. I find that the drowsiness lingers into the next day, though.  It is over the counter but you will have to request it from the pharmacist - it won't be sitting on the shelf

It will be different for each person and a lot of testing what works for you is required. we have tried to a lot of the off the shelf meds but they didn't work for us.

I have know got a prescription from the doc's which works well but I have to take them , one the night before and on in the morning, the retake every 3 hours ( Not the every 4 hours as advised )  as if I wait the 4 hours then I'm over the side making burley.

I have also tried the 1300 sick, and found this to be effective, how ever since my last batch I have been out on the boat :( 

I'm normally good in the river or the bay, but once out the heads is my issue.

few other things I have seen or read about is...but I haven't tried yet

some chemist in Adelaide sells a gel that is used by Paul Worstling  ( Ifish )

coke or soft drink before going on the boat as this will calm the gas in the stomach and will make you burp??

I had to deal with people getting sea sick a lot with my last job showing them how to use there new boats & have found this works the best. Have 2 ginger tabs tablets the night before DONT DRINK ANY BOOZE. When you wake up have dry toast another ginger tab black coffee & lots of water. When on the boat fishing stand & stay at the back & try to make sure you are evenly sped on the boat so it stays level. DONT LOOK DOWN. Rig up the night before & learn easy knots that don't take long to tie up or take a few setups so when you are busted off you don't need to retie. When you start feeling crook start the engine and start moving or you will get worse. If you can go out a few times by yourself & see what works the best without the pressure of letting your mates down. Drink heaps of water not beer. Cheers 

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I always recommend eating sardines on toast and strawberry milk for breakfast...doesn't stop you from getting sick but makes        .AWESOME BURLEY .     bahahaha....rick

Hahaha Hopefully no one actually tries it

I swear by original Travel Calm in blue and white box. They have a fair dose of caffeine as well to counteract against making you drousy as well.  For best affect take one the night before and another in the morning.  Good luck finding what works best for you. 

Ron