Sea sickness

Fufu

I went past a chemist last night to buy some sea sickness, but as I was speaking to the pharmacist he advised me/ asked me questions on the my needs etc

I asked him about Avomine ( white packet with Green ) the pharmacist advised that this was a very drowsy medication and warned me prior use.

I have googled and can also see the Avomine in different packets like the below

and a blue packet

this make me ask question to the fellow raider who use  Avomine and one which is this true? does Avomine make you really drowsy? do you still take one the night before and one the morning of the trip?

my other choice is the original travacalm which I assume is this below.

Beware Avomine can make you drowsy, especially if you add beer.

i had a Avomine and 2 beers while on a fishing charter and a couple of hours later on the way home I feel asleep at a set of lights at Epping Road.

p.s

Mojo you have a bad memory, you keep repeating yourself

Edited by jeffb5.8

We were on the way sailing to Hobart one year (if it floats I'll be on it, whether power or sail) and one of the crew was so crook with at least 3 days sailing ahead of us (on a small boat). He was desperate for a cure so one of the regular crew looked him in the eye and said "simple mate and a sure cure, just go stand under a tree". He looked at him desperately and asked quite seriously "Where's the tree, shit tell me where the tree is". Broke the rest of us up but not much help 40 or more nm offshore.

I agree though that Travel Calm in the blue and white box are great. I always take one if I haven't been outside for a few months. The other trick is to not have any or only a little booze the night before plus have some bland food to eat when outside, fairly soon after you go out.

14 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

i had a Avomine and 2 beers while on a fishing charter and a couple of hours later on the way home I feel asleep at a set of lights at Epping Road.

p.s

Mojo you have a bad memory, you keep repeating yourself

My bad thought the comments didn't post as I was having internet issues yesterday.

Thank you Admin for removing the repeat comments.

15 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

It would be dangerous driving while on these kind of drugs wouldn't it?

especially after a few beers.

also the police might arrest anyone if a drug test came back positive?

your better being seasick on a fishing trip  than traveling to or from the fishing charter and running off the road into a tree or a car full of kids and a family.or being arrested for drug test fail.

Edited by Trailcraft43

Ok guys Avomine is a drug used for many conditions including motion sickness, migraine. It is for preventing nausea and vomiting especially in infectious diseases, gastro probs and radiation therapy sickness.

It has side effects and interactions with lots of other medications like anti depressants, pain meds, alcohol etc. 

It makes people very drowsy and can enhance effects of other drugs. 

Certainly would not advise driving a car, towing and or driving a boat. 

If you want to take these (or any other medications) get advice from your GP or pharmacist who knows your medication profile. 

Never take meds recommended by well meaning persons (particularly on social media).

jeffb thanks for highlighting your dangerous experience by the way

2 hours ago, Trailcraft43 said:

It would be dangerous driving while on these kind of drugs wouldn't it?

especially after a few beers.

also the police might arrest anyone if a drug test came back positive?

your better being seasick on a fishing trip  than traveling to or from the fishing charter and running off the road into a tree or a car full of kids and a family.or being arrested for drug test fail.

Agree, I stopped at the lights and though, I have 5 mins will just close my eyes, woke up when the guy behind blew his horn, He wasn't there when I stopped at i was the only one on the road, so who knows how many sets of lights I missed.

I had take sea sick pills before and thought i bought the same brand and type, turns out i didn't, they were the ones that can make u drowsy.

Upside

Just picked the boat up from being serviced and I hardly drink these days and never if i have to take a medicine and don't get sea sick.

Bring on the long weekend, where people who only use their boats once per year are out in force, hogging the ramps and creating mayhem.

Another vote for the ET Seasickness CAPSULES (not pills) from Bova at Caringbah. My brother & a good mate are 100% converts. Another advantage (as ET used to advertise) is if you have problems with them to contact Bova and let them know & they will adjust the mix to suit your particular requirements, keeping your "mix" on record for your next order. 

On 9/28/2017 at 1:30 PM, stricko4 said:

Another vote for the ET Seasickness CAPSULES (not pills) from Bova at Caringbah. My brother & a good mate are 100% converts. Another advantage (as ET used to advertise) is if you have problems with them to contact Bova and let them know & they will adjust the mix to suit your particular requirements, keeping your "mix" on record for your next order. 

Would you have to go to the chemist then to get the right mix for you?

Fufu

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:08 AM, Mojo4fishin said:

I went past a chemist last night to buy some sea sickness, but as I was speaking to the pharmacist he advised me/ asked me questions on the my needs etc

I asked him about Avomine ( white packet with Green ) the pharmacist advised that this was a very drowsy medication and warned me prior use.

I have googled and can also see the Avomine in different packets like the below

and a blue packet

this make me ask question to the fellow raider who use  Avomine and one which is this true? does Avomine make you really drowsy? do you still take one the night before and one the morning of the trip?

my other choice is the original travacalm which I assume is this below.

Firstly to answer your Q - no, Avomine did not make me drowsy and I did not take one in the morning, just the one the night before.  I first came across Avomine many yrs ago when my daughter was young and would get car sick a lot.  We used to give her one tablet the night before and no carsickness and also did not seem to make her drowsy the next day.

Having said all that, I need to say -

(1)  This was a long time ago.  As I never go outside on a boat, I haven't needed to take it.

(2)  I also found that a few yrs ago (8 or 9yrs?) that I couldn't buy Avomine as I was told it was taken off the market.  Then more recently (~2yrs ago) I found that they are available again.  I bought a pack as I thought I was going outside in a boat which never happened, so I have not tried the new batch.  I had never heard of it being available in different coloured packs years ago, so maybe they have changed the formula or strength in more recent years...?

On 30/09/2017 at 6:27 AM, Fufu said:

Would you have to go to the chemist then to get the right mix for you?

Fufu

Honestly don't know mate. My suggestion is try the standard mix & see how you go. Then if you're not completely happy with them give them a call to see what they can do for you 

On 10/2/2017 at 11:38 AM, stricko4 said:

Honestly don't know mate. My suggestion is try the standard mix & see how you go. Then if you're not completely happy with them give them a call to see what they can do for you 

Will do

Cheers

Fufu