Berowra Waters

lesta

Hey guys i got told to try berowa waters just curious if its worth the drive down there? i'll be fishing from the shore sop any pointers will be great

Thanks heaps

Aaah I feel bad no one posted a reply to your message so here I am!

My favourite fishing at Berowra is for Mullet and Garfish behind the marina. Berley with a bit of bread and fish on the surface with a half filled bubble float. The mullet in particular are a lot of fun on 1kg line. However the place gets a bit of a hammering so it's not easy to tempt them.

My dad also fishes the ferry approach for Jewies using bait on a regular basis but hasn't caught anything yet. I personally don't have the patience for that kind of thing!

If you don't catch any fish it's always worth the drive up the other side of the hill to Pie in the Sky at Brooklyn for a blueberry pie!

Mate some spots for berowra. I fish it regulary but its hard from shore but here is my best spots.

On the hornsby side of the river there is heaps of access to fish. There is a couple of warves and pontoons to cast at from shore.

Look at pic i have attatached and where it is red is where you will catch fish expecially on a hig tide. Don't get to close to the edge as you can spook the bream. If you can cast at the boats then give it a go.

I have caught heaps of bream there in the past from my boat and I love that area.

Cheers

Lee

post-142-1130934861_thumb.gif

Edited by leelee

Hi Lesta,

Used to fish there a lot but only out of a boat, at the first few bays downstream from the area you will be.

I had most success using unweighted strips of steak near the shore, fishing the first few hours after sundown (especiall if high tide). Never came back without a feed.

Steak is a great bait as it is tough and the bream around there really like it. One summer night I spied some prawns near the shore and scooped them up and tried half the lines with live prawns and the other half with steak. The steak outfished the prawns by about 2 to 1!

Hope this info helps.

Cheers.

I agree with leelee about the areas to fish. If you walk down the bush trail (away from the marina), there are a lot of good places along the rocky shoreline to fish. I have fished there quite a bit and caught quite a few bream (just be careful of the sandflies). I have found that just after the high tide is the best, and all the better if there is no wind blowing. Berly will increase your catch significantly, so make the extra effort. I mostly fish about 1 1/2 m under a float and chuck small bits of bread mixed with pilchard at my float. Seems to work pretty well, and using a float saves a lot of tackle too.

Hi Lesta,

Late reply but............As a kid/teen through the 70's, we used to ride our bikes down Somerville road to Crosslands, walk the tracks towards the ferry and smash oysters of the rocks at low tide, and collect small black crabs. On the rising tide (especially late in the afternoon), we used to flick the unweighted crabs out on a 1/0 and wait. Worked well for us with the local bream. Smashing Oysters these days might be frowned on, but by gees it was a great way to berley the fish up. As a by the by, as a 14yr old (1974 yikes), I caught my first flathead on a lure down there on of all things a Mister Twister look a like. The guys (Toddy & Ray Chessor et al) at the old Asquith Marine swore by them!

If you can flick a bait or a soft plastic underneath the boats at the marina on the Galston side you could do well to...just pick a weekday when its overcast. Read above about a guys Dad fishing for Jew. I assume he was talking about the western side of the Ferry. If you have the patience to fish a rising tide at night give it a go...some big Jew occasionally get caught there but use either live poddies or very very fresh squid. Cast out towards the Nth East corner (assuming that you are on the Galston side of the Ferry and right near the point).

Good luck Lesta

Hi deckie 3,

Yeah there was many a time when I was about to let a mullet go when my dad walked up the road and pinched it for Jewie bait! He has been fishing off the western approach but without much success - the one time he hooked up he got promptly busted off in the pylons close to shore. Might have a cast one of these days with big soft plastics - should be more interesting than playing the waiting game with a big bait in the water.

LOL...Little Flattie,

Well I was talking about many years ago.....................the thing that amazes me about the place is that every, and I mean every time, I have been down there, you can smell "fish kill" at night...ie mullet that have been chopped...whether its tailor, jew, or tuna (and don't laugh I have seen 10kg Macks up in Apple Tree Bay), well its a fishy area