Garmin 100i radio connection NMEA 0183

Robofish

Raiders,

I hope that someone can give me some pointers because I really am at a loss!!!

I want to connect my Garmin 100i radio to my Simrad NSS9 with an NMEA 0183 cable so that if I need to press the DSC button it will transmit my location. I have ordered the cable which has a fitting on one end for the NSS9 but the other end is bare wires and I can’t find a socket in the back of the radio to fit it into - there are just two holes in the back (with rubber bungs in right now). Does this mean that I have to open the radio up to make the connections inside it????

I have attached a pic from the radio installation manual which shows the wiring requirements I just can’t figure out how to physically do them!

Any help would be appreciated it’s doing my head in ?

Thanks in advance

Dave

600A0BCA-DA08-4BEE-BA9A-7E21052A5521.png

From the manual above it looks like you should have a plug to plug into that port on the rafio, doesnt mention opening it up at all, i haven't connected mine up yet but i know it has a plug for this. Maybe remove the rubber grommet and see if it is actually a plug port or something. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, Robofish said:

Thanks mate, I appreciate the reply - have taken both of the plugs out and they are just holes ?

hmmm interesting seems insanely excessive to make you take the unit apart to connect a safety feature....sorry cant help much more then that, maybe contact the manufacturer directly and see what they say