Yabbie Pumps

BIGG DADDA TREVS

As far as brands go Alvey or Wilson would be my first choice. I've had my Wilson for over 30 years now. If I haven't used mine for a while then I can get blisters during some big sessions. These days you will see some with neoprene on the handle which will protect from blisters. If you don't like bending down then consider an extra long pump.

It shouldn't affect you for a long time but please note that the material for the washers is slightly different and there appears to be a minute difference in diameter. I can't use Alvey washers in my Wilson as it does not retain a vacuum. Wilson were kind enough to send me a replacement washer from Queensland last time I had to replace it.

BTW don't forget to loosen the wing nut inside the pump at the end of the day so the rubber washers don't compress permanently over time. Good habit to flush the sand out too. I hold mine under water at the beach before finishing at the end of the day and operate it for the full stroke a few times. Water will suck into the internals through the air breather hole in the handle and then I lift it out of the water then flush the sand out through the same hole. I find this method easier then removing the washers and flushing.

Edited by DerekD

As others have said, Alvey is the way to go! You cant kill them with a stick. Had my extra long pump for 43 years and apart from a few washers (some times a thong substituted too), it's still going strong.

Can also save you money in gym membership , as it gives you a great workout :D

I have a few Alvey pumps and it may just be me but I find the long one a bit harder to handle.

When I do pump yabbies its at the Maianbar Sand flats so they are very productive even close to the surface so there is no real need for a long pump.

Generally , I think , most people would maintain a slightly bent over stance while pumping and what I found with the long pumps is its harder to get them to clear the hole when you are shooting the sand/mud out. If you don't get back up almost vertical then the pump catches on the hole all the time and interrupts the rhythm.

I am 182cm tall so that's not the problem.

So my advice would be that unless you need to get down deep, stick to the standard pump and invest in an Alvey.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

I have a few Alvey pumps and it may just be me but I find the long one a bit harder to handle.

When I do pump yabbies its at the Maianbar Sand flats so they are very productive even close to the surface so there is no real need for a long pump.

Generally , I think , most people would maintain a slightly bent over stance while pumping and what I found with the long pumps is its harder to get them to clear the hole when you are shooting the sand/mud out. If you don't get back up almost vertical then the pump catches on the hole all the time and interrupts the rhythm.

I am 182cm tall so that's not the problem.

So my advice would be that unless you need to get down deep, stick to the standard pump and invest in an Alvey.

Cheers

Jim

I agree.   I have had the short alvey one since I was a kid (45 now) and it just feels awkward if I use a mates longer one. 

And here I was thinking I was a weird for thinking that. 

18 hours ago, Welster said:

Generally , I think , most people would maintain a slightly bent over stance while pumping and what I found with the long pumps is its harder to get them to clear the hole when you are shooting the sand/mud out. If you don't get back up almost vertical then the pump catches on the hole all the time and interrupts the rhythm

As I was reading this paragraph I thought I was on that weird site again.?

Has anyone had experience using PVC yabbie pumps? I saw one advertised online but wasn't sure how they'de go, obviously lighter than the typical metal ones which is a plus. Could probably even make one out of Telstra pipe now I think about it ?

2 hours ago, Gutamouth said:

Has anyone had experience using PVC yabbie pumps? I saw one advertised online but wasn't sure how they'de go, obviously lighter than the typical metal ones which is a plus. Could probably even make one out of Telstra pipe now I think about it ?

I used to work in a large outdoor store (I can't mention which due to forum rules). We used to have the PCV ones and they were absolute rubbish. We got so many complaints about them they got recalled. 

My dad bought a Wilson yabby pump before I was born. It lasted for over 20 years before it finally died. I replaced it with another Wilson one. Can't speak for Alvey pumps because I've never used one but the stuff they make is generally pretty indestructible. 

3 hours ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

I used to work in a large outdoor store (I can't mention which due to forum rules). We used to have the PCV ones and they were absolute rubbish. We got so many complaints about them they got recalled. 

My dad bought a Wilson yabby pump before I was born. It lasted for over 20 years before it finally died. I replaced it with another Wilson one. Can't speak for Alvey pumps because I've never used one but the stuff they make is generally pretty indestructible. 

Those PVC ones get flogged  out pretty quick with the abrasiveness of the sand plunged back/forth.Wilson/Alvey you'll buy once if you look after them.I service mine every season but I have OCD.