Hi fellow raiders,

Heading up to hawkes nest early november for fishing trip. Been before for with moderate success can anyone give me any more tips up there. Will be staying at Winda Whoppa land based only and not fishing around jimmy beach and the river.

Any information about bait, lures, rigs, tecniques and live bait will be helpful. All information is good information.

thanks raiders

is this all at the winda whoppa end of jimmy beach? where can you pump for yabbies. The more info the better. What about fishing the river at that end also. The currents is quite strong from the past but have caught fish with lots of snags also. thanks

you can get jewies of the nelson bay breakwall and pelagics but not sure what times of the year. but that is on the other side 

littlle gibber has tailor but the only live bait i have got in port stephens is off the nelson bay breakwall which was slimy mackerel

but for that area flathead, bream and whiting would be your best bet

im sure scratchie would be a lot more help for that area

cheers 

Edited by ARC H

hey mate it depends what sorta fishing you're into. Ide take some metals and spin for a tailor or salmon off the rocks there. If you're getting on the piss then send a slab off the beach at night for a jew or a shark even? and if you want livies but aren't willing to travel anywhere then your best bet would be try and get a few live beachworms. If ya can't catch them, a good alternative is a live whiting..

Thanks guttamouth that's what I need!!!! Will travel during the day just not after about 12 than on the piss! You talking about Barnes rocks? And will travel for livies best bet for jewies mate so get feeding me info the more the better there is a few of us going so will try everything! Is it near impossible to catch these squid up there?

We have caught squid walking along jimmys beach and casting from the shore. As long there is weed around. There is a lot of ribbon weed along there. You will also catch flatties in the sand patches in the same area throwing plastics and other lures. Salmon, tailor, dart, whiting, bream etc off the main beach at hawks nest. You can catch worms on the beach if you have the skill set. Otherwise pillies work for most fish. If you were keen you could get your squid at jimmys amd take it over the front for a jewie. Same with the tailor or worms which are on the main beach. I haven't caught a jewie there myself but I know they do get them. There is no driving required for any of these combinations of options. You might just have to walk a bit to find a gutter you like  on the main beach.