San Souci Park... Again.

notoriousTASH

Hey raiders!

It must be becoming apparent that my partner and I really enjoy this spot! 

Went out today with fishermansteve, (hats ready to go) and my partner. Weather was great, hardly any wind except toward the end of the night and the water was perfectly still.

Plenty of bites throughout the day and landed quite a few fish, using pilchards and prawns as bait. All but one were undersized, including many bream and a baby snapper. The notable catch today was my partner's 62cm Flathead! Not only that, it was her first catch using a lure. We bought a Jarvis Walker saltwater lure kit, she picked one out at random and played around with it and managed to catch the flattie. All round fun day out with many more to come.

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

8 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

Damn, a flatter on a slice. Never seen it done before. Well done, now uv caught the lure fever

Yes well to be honest we were getting a little sceptical about lures, we have been playing around with them everytime we have gone out, trying different retrieves and never got any interest... Until yesterday. Mrs kept trying with that same lure after catching the flattie for the rest of the day and got a few more knocks but nothing caught. The flattie definitely gobbled it up though, the lure was right in the back of it's mouth by his gills. 

That lure is great on Taylors, if they are around they'll chase them for sure. Flatties are great since they go for anything, I've got them on squid jigs even.

That location you're at is full of flatties, its been my main catch when I fish there. Fish that spot straight after a storm and I find the fish bite a lot sooner there.

Nice flattie soft plastics are fun and easy with flathead, just get a quality brand of soft plastics and watch something on youtube about catchin them and after a while you should start cracking them 

cheers

21 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

That's a really nice flattie, hope it tasted great. If you want to target them might I suggest you try soft plastic lures. I've actually never heard of a flathead caught on your type of metal lure before!!

Mods is that  possibly a FR record? Flathead on metal slice.

Mrs would be stoked if it is indeed a record! And yes, the flattie tasted amazing - after we figured out how to fit it in to the oven ? 

As an FYI - baked whole in a foil wrap, glazed/basted/whatever term you want to use in olive oil, garlic, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and parsley for 35-40min at 180 degrees. Very succulent!

received_10155195267702746.jpeg

1 hour ago, tomcat8819 said:

40 mins sounds a bit overkill even for a big thick flatty... great catch though especially on a metal slug!

I can't recall exactly how long, but somewhere around the 35min mark. Can guarantee you though that it was perfectly cooked.