Bate Bay

Yowie

Headed out into Bate Bay around sun rise, just in time to see humpbacks cruising south again.

One drift and caught all the fish in about an hour, plus a few undersized ones. Only 2 spikies amongst the blue spots. Some small ones there, a few more like the 50cm one would have been nice.

Swell from the south, a smaller swell from the north-east, a light west-south-west breeze, but the southerly current pushed me slowly south. Very little bird life, nothing moving on the surface that I could see.

fish.jpeg.114.png

Thanks guys. The flatties have been around for a while. Knocking the bag limit from 20 down to 10 is a good idea. 10 flatties equals 20 fillets, plenty of feeds to go around.

Tiger flatties were in big numbers off Sydney many years ago, but the trawlers just about killed them off. The odd 1 or 2 are still  caught, mainly around this time of year when they are in a spawning mood in shallower water, but the blue spots are in bigger numbers now.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:45 PM, Basil D said:

i never get sick of flaties, best tasting fish

The ocean flatties are good eating.

Saw boneless flattie fillets in 2 Sutherland Shire fish shops over the last 2 weeks. $50- and $53- per kilo. FFS. I paid that for red emperor fillets a couple of months ago in Qld. Now they are good eating.

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

The ocean flatties are good eating.

Saw boneless flattie fillets in 2 Sutherland Shire fish shops over the last 2 weeks. $50- and $53- per kilo. FFS. I paid that for red emperor fillets a couple of months ago in Qld. Now they are good eating.

I know LOL bloody expensive as