Carp on fly

perch

12 hours ago, perch said:

Hey guys wondering any of you target carp on fly as I have been catching a few recently on plastics and was wondering if flys were a very good way to target them 

Apparently "bread flies" are successful. I've never tried it personally but believe that they work well in among dried bread pieces thrown on the surface. Go online to find where you can get them. bn

There's a huge carping on fly community in Sydney the latest issue of Flylife has a great article. Loads of pages on Facebook to check out. My mate is one of the fun carp anglers on fly in Sydney. 

Its about the presentation and the sink rate of your fly. Unlike trout carp have poor sight so you need to be in the zone for them. Common trout patterns such as Wooly buggers, bead head nymphs and even some dries will take carp. A size 10 hare and copper brass (not tungsten). Was head or a pink wooly bugger in a run will nail feeding fish. Any worm fly pattern, the San Juan comes to mind will work. 

Carp on fly is becoming huge as it allows a wily fish to be targeted on the fly. It's very rewarding.

A good six weight medium fast action rod and floating weight forward line will do the job. Leaders in the 9-12 ft range tapered in say 6-8lb breaking strain will handle most carp if played out. 

Message me if you would like some links to Facebook pages.

cheers Royce