ID (sentimental value)

notoriousTASH

Question

Hey raiders, 

So I'll fill you in on the backstory a little. Started fishing about 3 months ago and have really gotten in to it. Been telling my family about it, who never were into fishing, however, my mum was telling me how her father, my grandpa, really loved fishing.

Sadly, I never had the opportunity to meet him, he passed away in his 40's after he slipped and hit his head, falling in to a coma from which he never woke up from. My mum told me she had a photo of him with a huge fish he caught and she was going to try and find it. Today, she sent me the picture after looking through piles of old photos.

I'm amazed at the size of this thing! Mum doesn't know too much information about it but it seems it was taxidermied after being caught. This was in the 70's in WA somewhere. Would love to know what this fish is so that hopefully, one day, I can target the same one and catch it, in my grandfather's honour. 

I know the quality is bad and not the best angle, but I have the utmost confidence that I'll get an answer here :)

TIA guys and happy fishing

IMG_3906.jpg

**UPDATE** - I texted mum asking if she knew the fish was salt or freshwater - she said, "I think salt water, that photo was taken when my dad was working in Dampier WA and I think they were fishing off the coast there"

Edited by notoriousTASH
Add update

19 answers to this question

If it was caught in WA, my guess as WA hasn't  got any big freshwater fish (maybe a released one) would be 

either a Gold Spotted cod or a Blackspot cod as a QLD Groper doesn't have those facial/mouth markings.

Also common names are a buggar as some call both the above fish Estuary/Malabar cod.

Tash ,

Any chance you have any pics of the fish when it was caught and still alive?  My cousin is a taxidermist and often says fish are difficult.  From memory saltwater fish are entirely done with synthetic materials and painted to look similar to the original fish.  I believe A mold of the fresh fish is made and then cast in polyester resin that's been mixed with fiberglass.  The taxidermist then paints the mount from photographs of the fish.

54 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Tash ,

Any chance you have any pics of the fish when it was caught and still alive?  My cousin is a taxidermist and often says fish are difficult.  From memory saltwater fish are entirely done with synthetic materials and painted to look similar to the original fish.  I believe A mold of the fresh fish is made and then cast in polyester resin that's been mixed with fiberglass.  The taxidermist then paints the mount from photographs of the fish.

I was just on the phone with my mum, she just corrected me on something. I said to her that the fish looked as if it may have been taxidermied as it doesn't look like my grandfather is using much strength to hold it up (surely he couldn't have been so strong to hold a fish of that size up with such ease!) and she said he's actually only holding it's head, the rest of the fish had just been cut up. So it indeed was fresh in the photo. 

I've just come back from a charter off Exmouth W.A. to the Montebello Islands.  We caught a few fish that size, colour and style. The crew referred to them as Estuary Cod, with anything over a meter having to be released.  I caught one which would have gone 50kg easy.  I did have some great photo's which would have helped with the I.D. but my phone got damaged on the last day.  Google the w.a. fishing rules for estuary cod, which may help you out.  Cheers............

Dave

So I have another update on this. My mum happened to mention this to my uncle and he claims that this fish was caught on... Wait for it...

A whole chicken. 

He seemed pretty dead set about it so I don't think he's pulling my leg! He said it was a rock cod, what do you guys think?

Hi Tash;

Since you are in Sydney could I make a suggestion.

Get in touch with The Australian Museum and have a chat with someone from the Marine section.

Give them the photo if requested.

There are some extremely talented people in there that should be able to help you.

That is the Museum in College Street.

Do not think the Sydney Aquarium would have the information

Good Hunting.

Cheers.

Roger.:lol:

Just a thought but could maybe be a large Rankin Cod? The larger ones over there are a lot darker and have that sort of hump on the head as in the attached photo. Judging by the size of your grandfathers hand I'd say the fish would be 20 odd kilos, the one on the right below is about 12 kilos so would fit the bill possibly

Cheers

Screenshot_20190928-061027_Samsung Internet.jpg