Soft Plastic Scent

NBFisho

Gday Raiders,

I've always been sceptical about putting scent on SP's. I always thought the action, retrieve and rod tip movement did the job. I have heaps of tubes of Scent and was wondering if I should give it a try.

What's everyone's thoughts on the subject?

Cheers Mark. 

I keep all my soft plastics in a scented bag. Can't remember exactly what is was I filled the bag with, all I know is that I've never had any issues with it breaking down the plastic, and oh boy do they smell. I feel like doing that is much easier than applying scent from a tube every half an hour, and I can't really think of a downside for it.

I use scent, I have found it makes some difference when using a slow retrieve or pause especially with fish like bream,  when I'm spinning for fish like trevally I don't bother as it doesn't seem to make a difference

Scent won't change a day when the fish are really chewing but on a tough day it can be the difference between a fish and a doughnut 

23 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

I keep all my soft plastics in a scented bag. Can't remember exactly what is was I filled the bag with, all I know is that I've never had any issues with it breaking down the plastic, and oh boy do they smell. I feel like doing that is much easier than applying scent from a tube every half an hour, and I can't really think of a downside for it.

Thx Aardvarking, that's a damn good way to go about it. @Weelzy and Dirvin thanks also for your imput, Guess ill be using some Sfactor tomorrow.

Cheers Mark.

10 minutes ago, marks1984 said:

ok what about fresh water? would you need the same scents as salt water?? or different??

I haven't tested scents on any lure fishing in fresh water, might give it a crack and find out!

Cheers,

Wellzy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wellzy94 said:

I haven't tested scents on any lure fishing in fresh water, might give it a crack and find out!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Your in a good local for both Salt/Fresh Ill have to give it a crack in Manly Dam just out of damn curiosity now..lol

• 4 months later...

I have talked about scent a lot in the past. Scent adds smell and taste to any lure. If they smell it , they will chase it, if they taste it , they will hang on to it, giving you a longer window to strike and hook up. To me there is no question as to whether it works. I started using scent many years ago. Spray on stuff and Dizzy's wax. Then s factor came with the SP'S . It was good, then it  in tubes. Even Better. One day I fished with a guide and he kept putting scent on, I found out later it was Sax Scent. My wife won't put a lure in the water without it! I have 2 tubes for her up the front of the boat and 3 for me down the back.2x Crab,2x Bloodworm and 1 Wassabi for Bass in fresh water. We apply it after every dozen casts, and it is uncanny how many fish are caught in the first couple of casts after re applying.I also use it on lures off the beach, Soft vibes and Metal vibes. Sax Scent is my favourite, By far. Have even been known to spruce up a beach worm with it !!!!     Howard.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading how some people buy this special garlic scent, of which some actually paint the plastic tail yellow in the process. Either for aussie flathead, or mostly USA jetty/rockwall fishermen. They reckon the fish love the yellow waggling tail... its hardly natural to me.

Sounds wacky, but they swear by it. I haven't found it in the shops yet to try it out.