Palm Beach

joking fish

Hi Raiders it has been a while since my last post. I have been fishing regularly over the last few months with good results. My faithful haunts around Pittwater have yielded a solid amount of fish.

I arrived at Palm Beach at 4.30 pm yesterday. It was overcast but the wind was light and the tide was almost at dead low. Just before a brief shower had me running for cover I landed a 41 cm Tailor. I was using a light outfit with a heavy line and leader because at this spot there are some big big fish you need to bully before the snag you on submerged objects. Even with a heavy line and leader big bream, Trevally and Kingfish test the tackle and skill of even the best anglers. 

I fished with a small ball sinker with a swivel running off a 13.5 kg, 50 cm mono leader with 3 3/0 suicide gang hooks on a snell rig spaced 1 cm apart. The bait I used  was Pilchard. It seems almost every type of fish in Pittwater eats these.

Soon after the rain stopped I was back at it. I caught a 35 cm Trevally. Just before 7.30 pm I landed a 53 cm Flathead. With the other two fish from earlier it was released the Flathead to grow bigger. Live and let live. I also caught a couple of undersized Reds that weren't too far off legal. Great fun on my light rod. The head shakes were continual for the whole fight.

After I released the Flathead it was time to go. It was starting to get dark. The fishing usually shuts down after nightfall sets in. Most of the time. I ate the Tailor today for lunch. It was cooked on the BBQ wrapped in foil with Garlic, Salt, Pepper and Chilli Paste. If the last couple of months is anything to go by we should be in for a great Summer of fishing.

IMG_0044.JPG

• Like 1

The Ferry wharf. Officially you're not allowed to fish there but many people do. If you go there I'd advise you to fish there after the ferries stop boarding at 6.30 pm. I've never got into trouble except for a few ferry employees saying you're not allowed to fish off this wharf. I feel nonchalant when I hear this because it is a great fishing spot. Always hookup something decent and there's so much variety. I've lost some massive fish there over the years. Some I see most I don't. The really big smart ones swim straight for the pylons and its see you later.

1 hour ago, Archillies said:

Many kings round?

Good question Archilles. I hooked a rat at Palm Beach that followed up my bait as I was winding it in. This was about two weeks ago. I got a glimpse of it and it was definitely a King. It woke up and went for a big run my nylon was frayed at the time (since been upgraded) and it made a mockery of my 5 kg mono. No doubt there will be more in the coming months but this encounter so early in the year alludes to a very promising Summer for Pelagic species.

2 hours ago, joking fish said:

The Ferry wharf. Officially you're not allowed to fish there but many people do. If you go there I'd advise you to fish there after the ferries stop boarding at 6.30 pm. I've never got into trouble except for a few ferry employees saying you're not allowed to fish off this wharf. I feel nonchalant when I hear this because it is a great fishing spot. Always hookup something decent and there's so much variety. I've lost some massive fish there over the years. Some I see most I don't. The really big smart ones swim straight for the pylons and its see you later.

ok thanks heaps,

i sometimes catch the ferry from ettalong to palm beach, and never really fished there

willhave to give it a go sometime

cheers

Hi guys I'm planning a trip up palm beach way this weekend any recommendations for some places to fish? I have fished a few times down that way and been successful but I found the ground to be very snaggy and loose a lot of tackle 

3 hours ago, smc2010 said:

Hi guys I'm planning a trip up palm beach way this weekend any recommendations for some places to fish? I have fished a few times down that way and been successful but I found the ground to be very snaggy and loose a lot of tackle 

If you want to reduce the amount of snags you can try fishing from the beach instead of the ferry wharf. The other thing u can do is fish without a sinker. Also if you cast to the right hand side of the Jetty you wont get snagged as much. All that is out there is weed.

1 hour ago, joking fish said:

If you want to reduce the amount of snags you can try fishing from the beach instead of the ferry wharf. The other thing u can do is fish without a sinker. Also if you cast to the right hand side of the Jetty you wont get snagged as much. All that is out there is weed.

I was fishing from rocks not wharfs and intend on rock fishing again or maybe renting a boat any locations or suggestions would be brilliant