Botany Kings

Reel' em in

Hi Guys

Started off the morning gathering yellowtail for a session of downrigging, it wasn't to hard getting them today as they seemed to be everywhere you dropped a line, as soon as we had enough we headed out not to far from botany heads and started downrigging, I also had another lively out on a poor mans downrigger fishing the top of the water column. We were trolling for about 10 mins when all of a sudden a big school of bait started busting up right next the boat and before I could say look at all those fish we were on double hook up. They were both putting up a good fight and managed to wrap both lines together and after a struggle to get them free I got the first one to boat and being the fish that they are he managed to get way from me right at the boat but I didn't give it much thought as we still had the other one on and after a short fight he was in the boat I was so ecstatic that I had finally landed my first King, we set up another couple of baits and we were on again, got reefed by one and as I was fighting the other one my rod snapped in half so I was fighting the fish with half a rod, fish boated but was undersize, not happy about the rod breaking but hopefully It will be replaced under warranty. We chased the school around and hooked a few more fish but couldn't land them, we then went back in to the bay for a fish but there wasn't much happening inside so we decided to call it a day.

IMG_0212.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2017 at 2:43 PM, kingie chaser said:

Id say you hi sticked it!

When getting rod tip to high on even a kingies of that size you can snap a rod.

Obviously depends on the design of course but a lot of rods have this weakness.

Not hi sticked mate, the rod snapped as the fish was taking a run and the rod was nearly in the water, took the rod to Shimano and they discounted me a new rod, they would of replaced it but I couldn't find my receipt.