First experience with braid

Mr_clownface

Hi there 

i recently started using braid and often use a simple setup with a running sinker and long fluorocarbon leader, I found that my leader often gets tangled with my mainline,I'm not sure why this happens and wondering if anyone had this problem and may know a simple solution.i have spinning reel with 10lbs braid and 8lbs leader.

any help is appreciated 

Hi MCF.

Have seen this many a time and I have an easy solution. As you have noticed the leader wraps on the mainline but what you probably haven't worked out yet is that the mono or fluorocarbon doesn't wrap on itself too often.

My solution is to have the sinker a bit more than halfway down the leader. So if your leader is 1m long from mainline to hook my sinker would sit say 40cm from the hook. I loop my leader 3 or 4 times through the sinker locking it in to place with friction.

If you insist on using a running sinker you may have to rig a leader to a swivel and then sinker and remaining rig.

Do you have the leader connected to the braid with a leader knot and the sinker running on the flurocarbon or is the sinkre on the braid and then braid to a swivel and then to leader? Best to have a rod length of leader, connected with a leader knot for the sinker to run on, then swivel, then trace to the hook. If the sinker is on the braid or even catching on the leader knot so it becomes the pivot point between the braid and leader it will twist. As mentioned you can limit the height the sinker can slide up the line with  a second swivel or even a rubber band tied to the line

27 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi MCF.

Have seen this many a time and I have an easy solution. As you have noticed the leader wraps on the mainline but what you probably haven't worked out yet is that the mono or fluorocarbon doesn't wrap on itself too often.

My solution is to have the sinker a bit more than halfway down the leader. So if your leader is 1m long from mainline to hook my sinker would sit say 40cm from the hook. I loop my leader 3 or 4 times through the sinker locking it in to place with friction.

If you insist on using a running sinker you may have to rig a leader to a swivel and then sinker and remaining rig.

I understand what your saying,I think it tangles when casting the leader wraps the mainline,so your idea with a sinker on the leader helps keep them apart,I will give it a go next time I'm out,

cheers

5 minutes ago, Captain Spanner said:

Do you have the leader connected to the braid with a leader knot and the sinker running on the flurocarbon or is the sinkre on the braid and then braid to a swivel and then to leader? Best to have a rod length of leader, connected with a leader knot for the sinker to run on, then swivel, then trace to the hook. If the sinker is on the braid or even catching on the leader knot so it becomes the pivot point between the braid and leader it will twist. As mentioned you can limit the height the sinker can slide up the line with  a second swivel or even a rubber band tied to the line

I use braid then sinker then leader to hook,yes I tie the braid to swivel,I will try your method next time your help is appreciated 

thanks

I strongly suggest using a leader knot like a double uni (<15lb) or albright knot (>15lb) (an FG will be better but more time consuming and trickier to learn and tie) to a rod length of leader, have your sinker slide on this, then swivel, then trace, then hook. The leader will be stiffer than the braid to prevent twist, the leader will be alot more abrasion resistant to the sinker sliding on it and also rubbing on the bottom with the sinker. Running sinkers make pretty short work of light braid by sawing through it with the water movement. I never tie my braid to anything except a leader. You don't have to use expensive flurocarbon as your leader attached to your braid, you can use a softer line like jinkai or a hard wearing mono and save your fluro for the trace where the hook and teeth are. The leader knot in nylon leader is also softer for casting through the guides than the hard brittle flurocarbon. For 40lb and up on all of my jewy, kingie and bigger gear i use jinkai as the windon leader (albrigth knot) and use flurocarbon for the trace to the hook (the rig from the swivel down). I just use Sunline Rock FC as the leader and trace for anything 30lb and down as it is not very stiff as far as flurocarbons go and is very good value for money so it is not prohibitively expensive for the application.

On 30/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, Mr_clownface said:

Hi there 

i recently started using braid and often use a simple setup with a running sinker and long fluorocarbon leader, I found that my leader often gets tangled with my mainline,I'm not sure why this happens and wondering if anyone had this problem and may know a simple solution.i have spinning reel with 10lbs braid and 8lbs leader.

any help is appreciated 

This is a common problem. What happens is because the sinker is the fastest sinking part of the rig, the bait and trace comes up vertical when it’s sinking and being pulled down by the sinker. This brings the bait right next to the main line the whole time it is sinking and gives it a good chance to tangle with the main line. If your bait is spinning it’s makes it even more likely to tangle.

Cast or lower your bait with the current, lower it slowly or use a lighter sinker so it sinks slower all should help. 

Edited by Hateanchors
Better wording.

10 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

If the sinker is not running on the braid what would you run the sinker on. Thx

Depending on what you're chasing anywhere between 2-6mtrs of shock leader a little heavier than your braid, joined to the braid with an FG knot.(never breaks & slips through the runners). Sinker on the shock running down to your swivel & then leader below to your swivel. Hope that makes sense!