Big flatty released

jenno64

Hit the Georges yesterday morning for the last hour of the run up but waiting for the run out in a couple of favourite spots. Jagged a small silver biddy and headed over to a deep water spot just as the tide turned. Had a massive hit on the livey and grabbed the rod but all went limp, then another hit and gone. I pulled it up and it was worse for wear....looked like a jew had crushed it. 

Headed over to the shallows and lost a couple of good flatties on blades then bagged a couple on soft vibes to take home for a feed. Just before pulling up stumps I was drifting down into slightly deeper water and had a weighty hit on a blade. This thing had some grunt and I quickly pulled in the other lines as the tide was ripping out sending the kayak into a spin. 

With just the rod in hand I started getting line back on the fish which was working the current to its advantage. I managed to get it up to the surface and saw its tail....pretty healthy. After a few spins of the kayak I manage to net the big girl and she catapulted out of the net but luckily I caught her before she hit the drink...quite a bit of weight.

Finally in the yak I surgically removed the blade minus two hooks as it was well down the gob. I covered the fish's head with a towel and shot around to a sandy beach to get a few pics before release.

Left my brag mat at home but guestimated the fish at 75-80cm and very fat. She released well and I followed her to a metre then gave her a nudge and she disappeared. 

Ended up with a nice flatty in the high fifties only a hundred metres from the ramp and just polished off a two course flatty meal of carpaccio followed by fillets with rice and asian greens.
Last edited by flattyakker on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

On kayak.jpg

In water.jpg

17 hours ago, jenno64 said:

lost a couple of good flatties on blades then bagged a couple on soft vibes

Hi Jenno

sounds like a good session despite missing out on the jewie - yeah it definitely sounds like one mouthed your livie.

I notice you seem to go for vibes and blades over soft plastics. Just wondering is a there a reason for that?

I've used blades with some success but where I fish they tend to get fouled with weed so I get frustrated with that and usually switch to SPs.

Cheers

Fil 

4 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Hi Jenno

sounds like a good session despite missing out on the jewie - yeah it definitely sounds like one mouthed your livie.

I notice you seem to go for vibes and blades over soft plastics. Just wondering is a there a reason for that?

I've used blades with some success but where I fish they tend to get fouled with weed so I get frustrated with that and usually switch to SPs.

Cheers

Fil 

Fil

I find that the blades are always in the zone for flatties no matter the depth. They also produce enough vibration even if I'm slow trolling. They also are easy to deweed on the run:)

Nice work out of the kayak.

When trolling, do you paddle, or are you just drifting? I've been trying a bit of trolling out of the kayak, but haven't found the right zone yet. I've been trying with SPs and hard body diving lures.

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

Nice work out of the kayak.

When trolling, do you paddle, or are you just drifting? I've been trying a bit of trolling out of the kayak, but haven't found the right zone yet. I've been trying with SPs and hard body diving lures.

I use a my sounder  and match a HB to the depth looking for drop offs on the run out tide mainly. I don't drift much unless the tide is ripping out then its a good speed to get some lure action.