Five Dock Flick - 4/10/17

Aardvarking

I had some plans to go scuba diving this weekend, but unfortunately due to a very poorly timed cold I couldn't do it, leaving my weekend wide open. After seeing that today was a full moon, I decided I would check out a spot I haven't tried before, as I always like to use the ultra full moon low tides as a bit of a recon to learn more about the area when trying out a new spot. I invited a mate of mine who has never fished lures before too, because I know fishing the mud flats can be a fun and easy way to start out. When fishing a new spot I also tend to try all sorts of lures, so amongst us we fished squidgy wrigglers, jackall chubbys, bassday sugapens, halco scorpions, ecogear sx40s, luckcraft sammys, tt switchblades and softie grubs, a favourite lure of mine that isn't made anymore. I had the most success with the sx40, and 2" softie grubs, with nearly all of my fish being on the two.

We got to Rodd point at about 1pm, and it was pretty bleak when we got there. There was a vicious southerly blowing, and it was raining quite heavily. After about 45 minutes at Rodd point with only a single bite we decided to walk west along the shore to get somewhere more sheltered, and to get to a point where we could cast with the wind effectively. While walking along the beach I only managed to catch only one little flattie, so we kept walking.

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.40.23 PM.png

One and a half hours in all we had caught between us was a single baby flathead, but then we found an oyster encrusted outcrop, which I assume would be fully submerged most of the time. Luckily by the time we got there the wind and rain had stopped and it was around the time of the change of tide, so the conditions were near perfect. Despite the vicious mud and oysters had to walk through and were nearly killed by, we managed to get out to the end of the outcrop, and that's when things started heating up. I started just pulling in flathead by the handful on the softie grubs. I had 2 seperate flathead take the lure literally within seconds of it hitting the water. For about a 45 minute period it was fish after fish. I was pleased to catch a few whiting seeing I hadn't caught any since last summer, it's good to see them biting again. In the end we totalled 3 whiting and 12 flathead, but which a disappointing lack of bream, the target species... Despite the poor weather at the start, it was definitely a great trip, especially because now I have a good knowledge of the bottom I can use for next time. I don't have any photos unfortunately, because we were wading and I didn't want to risk drowning my phone, but most of the flathead were decent sized (over 40cm), with the biggest being 47cm, with the biggest whiting being 32cm.

I was going to add a review of my new crocs here, but upon reading the forum rules again I'm not sure if that would be allowed. Please let me know it's permitted though, because I would love to add it.

You fished the worst stretch mate. Try the other side of the rock groyne you finished up at and also the other side of Rodd Point from the rowing club. Have done hundreds of sessions down there and that stretch never produced much but the others can really fire up.

2 hours ago, TheFoosh said:

You fished the worst stretch mate. Try the other side of the rock groyne you finished up at and also the other side of Rodd Point from the rowing club. Have done hundreds of sessions down there and that stretch never produced much but the others can really fire up.

Thanks for the tip mate. I know I got all my fish casting north off the rock groyne, so that is definitely some sound advice. 

The whole area can fish well, where you were I find to be one of the better ones (exact opposite to what TheFoosh said, I think the worst stretch is where he does well!!).  You used to be able to wade out along the rock groyne and fish either side but since it became Oyster encrusted it is a little dangerous and slippery.  The north side of the groyne is good but the silt/mud there can be deep and wading it a bit hairy.

The shoreline running from here along to Half Moon and Sisters Bay is a gun stretch especially for Bream but the rocks are slippery so be careful there.

Cheers

Windy