How to set roller heights on new boat trailer

seasponge

I've just bought a new trailer to replace my old one. My boat is 4.6m aluminium hull, trailer is similar as this

trailer.jpg

Does anyone have any tips, or links to good articles or videos, of how to set the height of the centre rollers correctly. I will be putting the boat in the water at the ramp to do it.

I've had a search here and all over the internet and haven't been able to find a good instructional video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi seasponge, if this is any help, basically the end result is that your bow loop that you connect your winch hook to has to line up at the correct height in relation to the winch roller.

On my boat the bow loop sits just below the roller above the winch, about 50mm below the roller from memory. 

That way the winch is pulling the bow hoop down onto the winch roller. 

The rest of the rollers should make the boat sit even and level at the lowest adjustment which should make Launching and retrieving easier. 

Thats my opinion,,,

Get a few opinions to satisfy yourself. 

Jamie 

29 minutes ago, seasponge said:

I've just bought a new trailer to replace my old one. My boat is 4.6m aluminium hull, trailer is similar as this

trailer.jpg

Does anyone have any tips, or links to good articles or videos, of how to set the height of the centre rollers correctly. I will be putting the boat in the water at the ramp to do it.

I've had a search here and all over the internet and haven't been able to find a good instructional video.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I hope your trailer has skids instead of rollers.I wouldn't put any pressed alloy boat on a trailer like that even though you can.

This should help you.

https://roxom.com.au/tutorials/boat-trailer/how-to-adjust-boat-rollers-on-your-trailer

Edited by Fab1

Thanks Jamie. Pondering it myself for the last 2 days and I think I had convinced myself that lining the bow loop with the winch roller was the most logical starting point, then adjust all others up to take the weight of the boat.

I helped a mate to this a few weeks ago on a 5.5 Fiberglass boat. We just followed our noses and used common sense and it worked out well. 

Make sure you have the right tools. Get a spanner and tie it to your wrist so if you drop it you don't lose it under the boat. Very easy to drop tools when reaching under. 

Don't do it when the ramp will be busy, people will get annoyed. It will take longer than you think. Also wash is really annoying.

The key was to have it lined up nicely off the transom to the edge of the trailer and then adjust the front pillar to suit. 

You should have an easier time of it as smaller and much lighter craft. We struggled to man handle the fibreglass boat but you will have no issues with yours. To make it easier take as much weight out of the boat. Will make it easier. 

It's all common sense. 

And I would not do it on my own. Get a friend to help. 

The keel rollers are the weight bearers as that part of the boat is strongest, the side ones mainly just hold the boat in the right position. 

I find it easier to setup with the boat on a trailer using a trolley jack to push up the keel rollers then adjust the side supports. 

If you are putting the boat in the water from its old trailer you should be able to guess close enough from the old setup to then make the other adjustments using a trolley jack. Use a block of wood so the jack can reach both the post bars at the same time.

take the boat off the old then sit next to new..use a level and a tape to measure heights first off your transom rollers then to your centres then put boat on central and adjust sides up to height then bow roller and winch height to suit the boat sitting properly on rollers..if you start with bow you may have it too low or high then rest wont sit right..rick

The boat is current;y on the old trailer, so I will need to get it in the water regardless to get it onto the new. I've looked closely at the setup of the 2 trailers. The position and height of the winch roller, and back rockers are almost the same. So I plant to get the boat onto the new trailer, drive it off the ramp, then use jack to adjust the front rollers up to get the bow loop lined up correctly, then just adjust the other keel rollers to suit.