Sickening Sunday

Wellzy94

Even with the rough weather yesterday, a charter my mother and I had booked in on went offshore from Cronulla anyway.

After arriving at our first fishing spot, we each landed a flathead rather quickly, but mum succumbed to sea sickness due to the swell. Not long after, I caught a second flathead and a nannygai before I also fell to the sickness. 

We both had tablets, but they seemed to have no effect, which was unfortunate. The other people on the charter got a good mix of flathead, morwong, nannygai and even a few snapper.

No pics, as I was too focused on my stomach doing backflips :(

Cheers, 

Wellzy

Nothing worse than being sea sick..  I suffer terribly from it.

There's 2 stages to it.

Stage 1- U think you're gonna die

Stage 2- U hope u die soon !

If I know its going to be particularly bouncey i'll take a tab the night before as well as the usual dose in the morning

Pb

Nothing worse than feeling it gradually coming on and you know you can't do anything about it. Diet coke and crackers seem to work for me. Those pills make it worse, feel all drowsy and tired. 

On the upside you both provided the burley for the day resulting in a mixed bag for others heheheh...

The only way you can fix it (besides coming back inshore) is to attach something floaty onto the end of a rope, like a fender (to hold onto) and jump overboard. I swear, 2 minutes in the water and your sickness goes away like magic. Its why I always keep a towel and a spare pair of boardies on the boat.

May not be an option on a charter vessel, however.

Otherwise Kwell seems to work for me. Just make sure you take it at least half an hour before you set out, its too late once you're out there.

Edited by Smasher

18 hours ago, bardi said:

Nothing worse than being sea sick..  I suffer terribly from it.

There's 2 stages to it.

Stage 1- U think you're gonna die

Stage 2- U hope u die soon !

If I know its going to be particularly bouncey i'll take a tab the night before as well as the usual dose in the morning

Pb

I had one the night before, one half an hour before we got on the boat, and one about 4 hours later. I think due to the roughness it just didn't work. :(

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Sorry to hear about your pain and suffering mate. 

Apprently, staring off into the horizon helps as it helps calibrate your balance horizontally. Never been seasick so cant say that works for sure

hope u and mum are fairing better now

I was still feeling really queasy yesterday, ended up going home sick.

I tried that and it didn't make me feel any better, just delayed the onset by a little bit. 

If you were still sick the next day maybe it's something else that made you sick, or maybe an ear infection ( which could effect your balance a little ). Maybe get a doctor to shine their torchy thing down your ears.

10 minutes ago, JonD said:

If you were still sick the next day maybe it's something else that made you sick, or maybe an ear infection ( which could effect your balance a little ). Maybe get a doctor to shine their torchy thing down your ears.

That's not a bad idea. I'll book into the GP and get a checkup.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Keep going out there and you will become use to it. I do not eat before heading out (either up river or outside) I have something to eat after the fishing slows down a bit.

Concentrate on the fishing, not your stomach.

I assume on the charter boat you stand up most of the time while fishing. You need to have your legs bending a bit at the knees with the swaying of the boat, while your upper body stays fairly upright and does not move too much.

Mate I feel your pain, I get sea sick in the bath. Although since I’ve started taking specially made tablets from a compounding chemist I haven’t been sick in years. Best evidence was when I went on a live aboard charter a couple of weeks ago in the Montobello islands in WA and we were in 4.5 metre swells for a day. I was one of 3 people on the charter who didn’t chuck. Not surprisingly the 3 of us were on the compounding tablets. If you’re interested send me a PM and I’ll pass on the details.