BURRINJUCK

Had my annual trip to Burrinjuck Dam on the weekend, only freshwater trip I do most years.

Arrived there about 4 pm fri just as the rain stopped. Got unpacked then launched the boat went for a short troll couple of smaller redfin.                                                                           Set the shrimp trap and back to the cabin.

Reasonable start sat on the water by 7am. Collected the trap no shrimp. Headed up the dam fished various trees with bait and soft plastics for a nil result. Short troll for another redfin. Then went ashore and walked the shoreline and sight fished for carp. Had my fly rod and a light spin stick with me. Had some fun as only cast to fish that looked over 2 Kg and they go hard. No we don't eat the carp. Ended up with half a dozen redfin for the weekend which do cook up okay.

Early on the carp didn't want to play the game, so keep moving spots till we found some that would. Landed over 20 for the afternoon on fly and lure.

Best two on fly went 67 cms 3.7 Kg and 3.9 Kg. best two on lure were both 3.6 Kg. Spin rod was loaded with 2 Kg mono used 2 Kg tippet on the fly rod

We normally catch a few yellow belly and cod (released) but this year none. other people still caught them.carp on fly.jpg

Thanks for the report Hookerbrucer, I'm headed there on Thursday till Sunday. Will let you all know how I go. Dam level just below 60% now. Been a very lean past 12 months for me so looking forward to catching something, even the under rated Carp. Bit of a worry that you got no shrimp, might have to get some today and freeze them. Cheers, bn

good luck for the trip neil...the burrinjuck reports ive read are saying goldens are starting to fire up.with some good size fish on lures and bait..the redfin seem to be in small isolated schools..prob spawning behavior at this time of year...I didn't realize there were so many filthy s#@t bag carp in there...hope you killed them all and didn't break the law..rick

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

good luck for the trip neil...the burrinjuck reports ive read are saying goldens are starting to fire up.with some good size fish on lures and bait..the redfin seem to be in small isolated schools..prob spawning behavior at this time of year...I didn't realize there were so many filthy s#@t bag carp in there...hope you killed them all and didn't break the law..rick

If I get any Rick they won't be going back in the water, that's for sure. Looks like a few hot days so I've just put the bimini back on the boat...not much shade there. Cheers, bn

On 08/11/2017 at 6:21 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Not for killing what im not going to eat, which is why i dont chase them anymore, people get upset when you release them.

they are a great sportfish to be fair and on the fly would be sweet.

just wanted to point out its not law that you have to kill them, unless laws changed recently, check it out!

i understand the consequences of carp in Aus but never thought me killing half a dozen would do any good in the big picture.

each to their own but the carp are here to stay im thinking, which is a shame.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:07 PM, Hooked-Up said:

Not for killing what im not going to eat, which is why i dont chase them anymore, people get upset when you release them.

they are a great sportfish to be fair and on the fly would be sweet.

just wanted to point out its not law that you have to kill them, unless laws changed recently, check it out!

i understand the consequences of carp in Aus but never thought me killing half a dozen would do any good in the big picture.

each to their own but the carp are here to stay im thinking, which is a shame.

G'day Hooked -Up. Each to their own mate. I dislike killing anything BUT I have also witnessed the proliferation of this species in our pristine waterways, and the impact which this causes is very apparent. I have to disagree with you on the impact of removing half a dozen Carp from a system. They breed very successfully and the numbers can reach epic proportions in a short space of time. If everybody killed the ones that they caught it would have a small impact (I agree), but an impact nevertheless.

I totally agree that they present a good account of themselves when caught on any "light gear". Cheers, bn

Hi all, just back from a trip to Burrinjuck Dam near Yass, NSW. Arrived Thursday arvo and headed out in very pleasant conditions. Fished all day Friday and Saturday till early arvo when the forecast was for strong winds. Sure enough the change eventuated and the sky turned black, as the wind whipped up the waves to a decent set of white caps. 5 of us in 3 boats accounted for 28 Redfin, 3 Yellas, 2 Cod to 67cms (inadvertently caught on small lures) and 1 Carp. Most were caught on deep diving small lures trolled in about 25 ft of water. Didn't bother fishing on Sunday as we collectively decided it would be a waste of time. Most fish were caught at the Bluff and in the 'Bidgee Arm, during the last hour of daylight. We covered a lot of water and the end result was very disappointing. I fished with no sounder after it wouldn't go out of SIMULATOR MODE. I had fitted the new transducer and only found it not working when I tested it at the dam.

On a brighter note there was a group of half a dozen people using "berley bombs" and corn kernels from the shore. They accounted for a few hundred Carp which they kept, presumably for their consumption???  Thank you for reading,      bn

On 11/7/2017 at 1:39 PM, hookerbrucer said:

Had my annual trip to Burrinjuck Dam on the weekend, only freshwater trip I do most years.

Arrived there about 4 pm fri just as the rain stopped. Got unpacked then launched the boat went for a short troll couple of smaller redfin.                                                                           Set the shrimp trap and back to the cabin.

Reasonable start sat on the water by 7am. Collected the trap no shrimp. Headed up the dam fished various trees with bait and soft plastics for a nil result. Short troll for another redfin. Then went ashore and walked the shoreline and sight fished for carp. Had my fly rod and a light spin stick with me. Had some fun as only cast to fish that looked over 2 Kg and they go hard. No we don't eat the carp. Ended up with half a dozen redfin for the weekend which do cook up okay.

Early on the carp didn't want to play the game, so keep moving spots till we found some that would. Landed over 20 for the afternoon on fly and lure.

Best two on fly went 67 cms 3.7 Kg and 3.9 Kg. best two on lure were both 3.6 Kg. Spin rod was loaded with 2 Kg mono used 2 Kg tippet on the fly rod

We normally catch a few yellow belly and cod (released) but this year none. other people still caught them.carp on fly.jpg

What is the ENTIRE set up which you use for fly fishing for Carp hookerbrucer? I have a couple of fly rods which haven't been used for years. Cheers, bn

47 minutes ago, big Neil said:

G'day Hooked -Up. Each to their own mate. I dislike killing anything BUT I have also witnessed the proliferation of this species in our pristine waterways, and the impact which this causes is very apparent. I have to disagree with you on the impact of removing half a dozen Carp from a system. They breed very successfully and the numbers can reach epic proportions in a short space of time. If everybody killed the ones that they caught it would have a small impact (I agree), but an impact nevertheless.

I totally agree that they present a good account of themselves when caught on any "light gear". Cheers, bn

Hi mate, thanks for the reply, valid point mate and i respect each persons decision to do what they feel is right at the end of the day.

main reason for my original post was to say that by law you do not have to kill them which is the common beleif and i thought that was correct for years myself.

You have a good one mate, is it cod season yet?

not till dec 1st..good to hear you caught a few neil...I double checked and its not illegal to return carp..but..if you seen the difference between two rivers I fish in you would kill every carp..one river is muddy  one is crystal clear...I would rather see all rivers clean than catch vermin that are crap to eat anyway...rick

11 minutes ago, MainframeJames said:

I'm curious about the carp because I've heard there are a couple different kinds and some are quite destructive while others are benign or even natives. Can anyone help me with that one or point me to a good resource that explains the differences?

There are many species of Carp, but to the best of my knowledge, they are ALL classed as a noxious species here in Australia. Apparently they were an introduced species and it's been determined that they have adverse effect on many freshwater species. You should be able to find out any amount of information about them from the Internet. bn

bustin my butt to fish next weekend and typically  rain and 30 knot n/e winds  beeauutiful conditions for my last comp of the year..ps I don't like carp at all when you compare waterways that are carp free to muddy horrible uninviting rivers that you cant see a lure 4 inches under the surface  it speaks for itself..hope your well neil..still going to plan a cod trip next year for you..rick

On 11/13/2017 at 7:11 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

bustin my butt to fish next weekend and typically  rain and 30 knot n/e winds  beeauutiful conditions for my last comp of the year..ps I don't like carp at all when you compare waterways that are carp free to muddy horrible uninviting rivers that you cant see a lure 4 inches under the surface  it speaks for itself..hope your well neil..still going to plan a cod trip next year for you..rick

Great Rick I'll look forward to it. Cheers, Neil