Upgrading reel drags

Deschanel

Done it, do it.

ive done it to my bigger reels that I run heavy drag with.

eg old saltiga 4500 rated at 10kg drag. Out of the box drag was very spiky after 6kg

after wet carbon upgrade it goes to full lock smooth as silk, was pulling 9kg drag and line was coming of spool smooth and slow.

50 percent increase in useable drag in my case.

best thing you can do IMO if your reel has Teflon drag washers.

1 hour ago, Deschanel said:

Just after people’s options on upgrading your spin reels drag washers to carbontex. 

Has anyone done theirs? was it worth and is it better to cut your own or buy pre cut carbontex washers?

Depends on what spin reel you want to upgrade. Some are good enough left alone and some it can be worth it. 

I also did my old model Saltiga but they need it badly. If you have something like a new model 2500 Certate I would leave it as it is. 

I'm also curious. It is worth doing to a baitrunner 4000D? It is spooled with 30lb braid and I'm using it for kings and jews. I am kind of regretting getting the 4000 as I feel the 6000 would have been a bit better suited, so I thought upgrading the washers could be a way to make it act a bit more like the larger model.

13 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

Depends on what spin reel you want to upgrade. Some are good enough left alone and some it can be worth it. 

I also did my old model Saltiga but they need it badly. If you have something like a new model 2500 Certate I would leave it as it is. 

I've got Shimano Stradics FJ not sure what washers they have but I'm assuming there the felt ones and I'm guessing carbontex are better. 

Im after smoothness really and but not so much increased drag 

2 hours ago, Deschanel said:

I've got Shimano Stradics FJ not sure what washers they have but I'm assuming there the felt ones and I'm guessing carbontex are better. 

Im after smoothness really and but not so much increased drag 

The Carbontex will make it a bit smoother I suppose, but I wouldn't bother personally. The original washers work fine if the drag is in good working order. It's your call really.

I did all my reels with carbontex...  I guess I am now an old salt (turned 55yo this year) and I have found that if you look after your gear it friggin lasts forever... so some of the gear I mention next will probably come from the history books for you younger guys..... 

In overheads I am still fishing my trusty penn 320GTi (bought in 1986), 330GTis (1996) and 45GLS reels (1996).   I upgraded all these and my spinning gear with carbontex.... no joke the next outing we landed a 70kg marlin trolling on kingfish gear with the 330GTi reel and a 15kg rod.  Reel got HOT... you could smell it... but we landed the fish, took the obligatory video/photo and released. I can honestly say carbontex made the difference... as Hateanchors said -- you WILL get more drag and it WILL be smoother.

My spin gear is also Penn and Shimano ... same deal  - carbontex all around - but no big story to tell re those - still trying to hook up to THAT fish!

Cheers 

Zoran

PS - bought the carbontex sheet from downrigger shop. I bought a wad punch set on ebay (about $18) to make the carbontex washers...so my recommendation make your own.   

If your interested here is the old report:

Like zmk1962 said .. I too am over the hill ..55 too (soon)

I brought my carbontex washers for my old ABU over heads, and the smoothness of the drag is incredible, feels like a new reel !!

Also did it to a few of my old spinning reels, ( especially my old trusty Shimano Aerocast 1000's, with the wooden handles), went from nearly see through washers to the carbontex, and now the drag is phenomenal for this sized reel.

If you can not get the "off the shelf" washers for your reels ( like some of mine are from the early 80's onwards , either make your own, or go to a reputable tackle shop that does good reel services' and ask if they can make them for you ( if you are uncomfortable in doing it yourself )

You will feel the difference straight away, not so much for trying to "increase" drag pressure, but to get "silky smooth" drag pressure from the whole spectrum of the reels capabilities.

Great_White