reel sizes

Psycho fisho

Hi guys

I have recently purchased a Shakespeare cetera 4000 and l plan to use it off the beach and rocks for bread and butter species l have matched it up with a 2-5kg ugly stick rod is this rod and reel a good match? Is the reel to big for this type of fishing? Also as l know every fishing brand makes there reels different sizes to other companies what would this Shakespeare 4000 size reel compare to?

Thanks

Essentially the reel is a line holding device and will definitely still do the job. When matching a reel and rod I balance the rod with reel attached with my forefinger positioned close to the end of the rod grip closest to the tip. The reel is too heavy for the rod if you have to come more than 25mm from the end of the grip. Shakespeare 4000 size is pretty much the same as the major manufacturers. Hopefully that helps.

Ugly Stik 2-5kg should be a soft slow action rod for bait fishing, so not quite suitable for casting far, and no large spool/reel required. Shakespeare reels are frequently paired in combos with Ugly Stiks or Shakespeare rods in  fishing tackle shops. Have a look at them in a few shops, and it might give you a better idea and a  feeling of different  matches. 

11 hours ago, Psycho fisho said:

Hi guys

I have recently purchased a Shakespeare cetera 4000 and l plan to use it off the beach and rocks for bread and butter species l have matched it up with a 2-5kg ugly stick rod is this rod and reel a good match? Is the reel to big for this type of fishing? Also as l know every fishing brand makes there reels different sizes to other companies what would this Shakespeare 4000 size reel compare to?

Thanks

I’m not familiar with Shakespeare’s reel sizing but if a 4000 is about the same as the other major manufacturers, it is on the larger side for that rod and “bread and butter” species. I wouldn’t think overly big though and still usable if using bait.

If you were using lures I would say definitely it’s too big and heavy to cast and work with repetitively. 

Then again, everyone has their own preferences. 

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

I’m not familiar with Shakespeare’s reel sizing but if a 4000 is about the same as the other major manufacturers, it is on the larger side for that rod and “bread and butter” species. I wouldn’t think overly big though and still usable if using bait.

If you were using lures I would say definitely it’s too big and heavy to cast and work with repetitively. 

Then again, everyone has their own preferences. 

yeah l will mainly be using it for bait fishing