Sydney Harbour & Long Reef Friday 10/11/2017

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Haven't been out for while (work commitments) so I gave myself the day off and headed out to Long Reef.

It was a late night decision and I didn't have any bait so I decided so I decided to try a few SP's and micro-jigs.

The swell was only 1.1 meters and there was bugger all wind so it was a quick trip to the reef.

I stayed there for about 3 hours all up. The place was loaded with Trevally and Samson Fish (which were not overly large).

I kept a few for the table... I prefer them both deep fried in a thin batter and cooked for just a few minutes... I think the Samson Fish is the better of the two done this way.

The Trevally were all around the 40cm mark with one every so often well over 50 cm so that was a lot of fun.

fish.JPG

The kings were around too but the were all just shy of 65cm. The kings are fun at this size but they can run amok and tangle your other lines so after half a dozen or so I had enough of them unless they could send a few bigger models my way! (which they didn't).

All the fish caught at Longy were on the same small 20 gram micro jig. I was fishing along the deeper side of The Wall and I could see schools on my sounder between 8 and 12 meters so I just let the jig go down to about 15 meters and tried a few retrieve methods . What worked best was a slow jig through the school and then a free-spool back through the school and repeat - most times they picked it up on the drop.

There were a few barely legal Snapper around and lots of salmon schools feeding on small stuff... I hooked a few but as often happens they don't take the lure well when they are feeding on larvae so I lost the three I hooked up... they were perhaps 2KG of more.

There were more schools of salmon around North Head and salmon and tailor in the harbour between Clifton Gardens and Cremorne Point.

When I got home I filleted the big Trevally first but it was damaged by worms (see below)  so it ended up in the burley bag in the freezer.

worms.JPG

All in all it was a very enjoyable day with plenty of action...

Cheers

Jim

11 hours ago, sam bros said:

Always love reading your reports

You provide such a good insight into fishing Sydney 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

where is the "wall" at long reef? Coordinates would be awesome, thx.

Well... that's a bit difficult as the wall is not a specific spot but a long drop off that runs approximately parallel to the shore line.

I don't actually have the GPS coordinates  anyway as I know approximately where it is by sight and when I am close I use the Navionics app to position the boat either for a drift along the wall or to anchor up just on the edge.

All the locations I talk about in my posts are easy to find just by a Google search.

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

You think you have a nice fillet, then you see where the worms have been. :wacko:

Regardless of that Jim, sounds like a good day out. As for the kingies, you fight them all the way then find they are undersized. :angry:

Yes, the worms sure make a mess.  The flesh was generally very pale too even away from the worm activity.  Pretty creepy really... makes me think twice about eating raw fish.

Cheers

Jim

3 hours ago, Archillies said:

Great work! How'd you manage to tempt the kings?

Thanks

They are pretty much all over the reef ... they will respond to pretty much anything at that size.

They took the micro jigs on the day but they would have responded to pillies or  strips of squid, whole cooked prawns are effective and of course live squid, yakkas or slimeys.

Cheers

Jim