Kurnell - Cronulla - Gunnamatta FAIL

Armpits

Went to about 3-4 different land based spots yesterday and no luck and no bites whatsoever. Only caught undersized baby Bream and Snapper. We went to Wanda Beach, Cronulla, Gunnamatta Bay, Kurnell. The bait we used were servo prawns, pillchards and chicken guts. Setup rig was just a light line with normal sinker and hook.

I don’t know what was going on with these areas. I had the same results a long time ago at Kurnell. For anyone who has experience, are the above areas stated really hard to catch fish at or what? Please fill us in on what you know!

TA!

its hard to catch anything, anywhere with servo bait,

I suggest the live bait shop at bexly for squid and live nippers or the oyster farm just down from shark park for fresh squid and prawns, surprisingly not that much more expensive than the filth you get from the servo

even better pump nippers at grays point at low tide

:thumbup:

Edited by hackingsOG

Used to pull some cracking whiting around gunamatta- they wouldnt eat anything other than live bloodworms which we used to be able to buy from the Bait Bars near Tom Uglies Bridge, havent fished round their in years but cant imagine its different now. Servo bait is usually garbage 

2 hours ago, hackingsOG said:

its hard to catch anything, anywhere with servo bait,

I suggest the live bait shop at bexly for squid and live nippers or the oyster farm just down from shark park for fresh squid and prawns, surprisingly not that much more expensive than the filth you get from the servo

even better pump nippers at grays point at low tide

:thumbup:

is tweed bait "good" or "bad" in your opinion?

Tweed bait might be good for berley, bad for anything else. 

Imo you’re better off going to a fishmonger and picking up fresh school prawns, pillies or slimeys or yakkas and aussie squid and using that than tweed bait. Often works out cheaper too

in general my rule is if its in a packet I'm better off going to the fish shop, if there closed the big shopping chains fresh stuff is even better than something from a shop/servo frozen in plastic

woolies fresh green prawns peeled have resulted in many good catch's of the beach at CronullaIMG_0698.jpg

Edited by hackingsOG

1 hour ago, Smasher said:

Tweed bait might be good for berley, bad for anything else. 

Imo you’re better off going to a fishmonger and picking up fresh school prawns, pillies or slimeys or yakkas and aussie squid and using that than tweed bait. Often works out cheaper too

Please remember to not use food prawns for bait.  

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/about-us/media-centre/releases/2017/protecting-our-prawn-industries-against-white-spot-disease

52 minutes ago, hackingsOG said:

in general my rule is if its in a packet I'm better off going to the fish shop, if there closed the big shopping chains fresh stuff is even better than something from a shop/servo frozen in plastic

woolies fresh green prawns peeled have resulted in many good catch's of the beach at Cronulla

cheers. might give that a go next time. can you freeze them after you buy them or do you have to use it fresh close to when you bought it? when i leave in the early AM its hard to get to open shops

Tweed bait will catch you fish if they are around.I've lost count of the number of Flathead,bream,whiting,flounder,tailor etc i've caught on it over the decades and I'm no expert fisherman..

Remember if your fishing with the best gear and bait and the fish aren't around or hungry,you will still come home empty handed.

Some real good captures have been caught on stinky old prawns etc and using servo bait is no different.

Use the freshest bait you can get first,but don't be discouraged by using servo bait if necessary.

The thing I want to know most is if it’s the area or how the fish are there that’s contributing to never catching fish at that spot.

Yes I used servo bait and of course fresh bait is better. But I don’t know the difference and it can’t make that much of a difference right? I mean other places I use servo bait and manage to catch a lot. It is just everytime I’m at the Kurnell, Cronulla and Botany area for land based fishing never had a good fishing day out. Why?!!!!