Boat Rod holders

Mullatt

Hey all,

just wondering what you use and maybe make in the way of rod holders in your boat. In mine I have the built in holders in the gunwale, plus a few of those scotty adjustable ones, but was wondering what others might have done in the way of making their own with conduit or similar.

Thinking of knocking up a few extras, but not sure the best way to go. Appreciate any comments and pics if you have them too.

cheeers

Dave

On 14 November 2017 at 6:14 PM, Mullatt said:

Hey all,

just wondering what you use and maybe make in the way of rod holders in your boat. In mine I have the built in holders in the gunwale, plus a few of those scotty adjustable ones, but was wondering what others might have done in the way of making their own with conduit or similar.

Thinking of knocking up a few extras, but not sure the best way to go. Appreciate any comments and pics if you have them too.

cheeers

Dave

I made a simple rack to transport my rods /net when underway just using some lengths of pvc with a notch cut out for the reel stems.Simple and it works well.If you want rod holders to fish with and attach on the gunnels there's heaps of designs on line.Type in Pvc rod holders.I was going to make some to try but haven't got round to it.When I do I'll put up a post.

That lazy fisherman is my lazy son.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the reply Fab. I have researched online and there are heaps of options, but was just more interested to see what this community had come up with. Someone (and quite often its you :D) usually has some great ideas that are worth following. ps like the lazy fisherman, I have a daughter exactly the same, but its funny if she gets a bite....all hell breaks loose lol

Cheers

Dave

If you have a look here i have the traditional plastic pipes for storage at the front of my console but also mounted some horizontal holders above either side pocket , one side is used for gaff/tagpole and the other i keep a couple of light rods in. What you cant see on the sides is-Left side has two split pvc pipes to hold the rod tips and the Right side has the gaff/tag poles held in by two pvc pips right at the back of and above the side pocketIMG_0386.JPG

Thanks PaddyT, that looks great. I have a similar but more basic setup on the front of my side console. But I think I will do up something like you have done above your side pockets for storing/carrying small rods. Thanks for the ideas and pics.

Dave

IMAG2465-20171116-105225711.jpg

IMAG2466-20171116-105226354.jpg

Also if you have a look down the back of my boat I have a PVC pipe mounted as a tool/knife holder, I also have another at the front on the right hand side of the photo, they are both capped and have holes drilled in the cap to let water out. All my pliers , etc are easily reached on both sides of the boat.

I made a few from pvc pipe and fitted them to the forward and aft seats. My tinny is only small so I put everything in these whilst under way and I also use the 2 aft ones for bait fishing rod holders.  bn

The aft rod holders fitted to some flexible metal and fastened to the aft seat. One allows the rod to point directly behind the boat and the other points the rod towards the port side. This works well and stops the lines from possibly getting tangled...

IMG_8474resize.jpg

The forward pvc pipe tackle /rod holders...

IMG_8476rs.jpg

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Also if you have a look down the back of my boat I have a PVC pipe mounted as a tool/knife holder, I also have another at the front on the right hand side of the photo, they are both capped and have holes drilled in the cap to let water out. All my pliers , etc are easily reached on both sides of the boat.

Yep I see that. Thanks will look at that option too.

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

I made a few from pvc pipe and fitted them to the forward and aft seats. My tinny is only small so I put everything in these whilst under way and I also use the 2 aft ones for bait fishing rod holders.  bn

The aft rod holders fitted to some flexible metal and fastened to the aft seat. One allows the rod to point directly behind the boat and the other points the rod towards the port side. This works well and stops the lines from possibly getting tangled...

IMG_8474resize.jpg

The forward pvc pipe tackle /rod holders...

IMG_8476rs.jpg

Thanks bn, some more great ideas for me to consider. Agree, definitely need to have those holders pointing in different directions. Speaking from experience, its a pain in the proverbial when you have untangle lines whilst on the water, when you should be fishing.

cheers

• 2 months later...

For vertical rod storage in my side console boat, I riveted a sheet of alloy to the front of the console, then riveted a bull bar rod holder to that. I already had a light 4 rod holder on the side but it wouldn’t fit the game rods or those with a bigger butt.

Full story in this thread:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/topic/84734-minor-boat-fitout/

C179DB81-EA0D-4163-9633-F70B74BED065.jpeg

6E8496F6-3EA1-44C3-9A57-7811D80E1F64.jpeg