Bow mount leccy on an old quintrex fish finder

TK01

Keen to hear from anybody who has added a bow mount trolling motor to an old Quintrex Fish Finder. Just got one and I’m thinking I’ll have to cut the bow rail. Not very keen on the idea so befor I get the angle grinder out I’m hoping someone may have mounted theirs with the bow rail in tact.

67051972-3BA2-42E7-A7D3-7217819841BF.jpeg

Why not mount it on the transom ? Or have you got the transom loaded up with burley buckets and downriggers and all the usual gear that goes on the rear end of a boat.

And why don't you want to cut the bow rail ? what job is it actually doing besides looking awesome ?.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Hi Frank, the transom is already loaded up, I think the bow is the best place for it.

Yes it is awesome isn’t it! Loads of character. It does make a good spot to hold onto occasionally but that’s pretty much the only benefit... 

After sleeping on this I think removing it is the way to go.  It will make fishing up there a bit better too I think. It does get in the way sometimes and I’ll be able to land fish up there 

Edited by TK01

If I had to choose the rail or bow mount, the bow mount wins and the rail goes.

I can't see what else you can do but to cut off the rail as it's very high. Fitting an electric to go over it won't work. You could cut out just one section of the rail but then the remaining parts will be weakened.

Guest Guest123456789
28 minutes ago, TK01 said:

Hi Frank, the transom is already loaded up, I think the bow is the best place for it.

Yes it is awesome isn’t it! Loads of character. It does make a good spot to hold onto occasionally but that’s pretty much the only benefit... 

After sleeping on this I think removing it is the way to go.  It will make fishing up there a bit better too I think. It does get in the way sometimes and I’ll be able to land fish up there 

Good call. Sometimes working surface lures up front you want the tip as close to the water as possible.

see your the most aft section of your rail? I’d shorten the two ‘studs’ and remount it so it looks like the new quintrex renegades. That way you have a section to lash rope to.

Hi Luke

Yeah I was thinking of doing something along those lines.  Might just take it off for now and see if I miss having a rail or not.

Grinder's coming out this arvo so I can get back on the water asap.

I think we live in the same area?  I'm in Umina Beach.  Keep an eye out on Brisbane Water for a white quintrex with patchy paintwork on the bow and come say g'day some time.

Cheers

Such a shame that you have to cut the rail .....

Wouldn't it be easier to just perhaps, take the front "U" shape off at the front, and re angle it upwards ....

That way, you can still hang on if you want to, and also use it to hold, when pulling up the electric trolling motor with the lanyard ...

Great_White

I just realised this and seeing your picture that you already chopped the rail off it’s too late but I think you could have left it, and the electric would fit underneath.

When you lower or pull up the motor you just had to angle or slide it to fit under and clear the top rail. Everyone was thinking the rail is there so it can’t be done but I think it would have fit underneath without any problem  

Anyway, too late now lol. 

Edited by Hateanchors

Thanks for your concern guys but it definitely had to go. I trialled and tested every which way before I decided to cut the rail off, and no scenario was going to work perfectly. This option has meant I don’t have to make any compromises and I’ll have the ability to run it a bit shallower when I’m in the racks or flats. 

Now that it’s done I think it looks cool too

Guest Guest123456789

Fish your way off Terrigal or east gosford ramps.

looks awesome without the rail. If you need stability when lure Fishing in swell a milk crate is the go to sit on. Even if you had the rail to hold onto I don’t know too many blokes adept at casting and winding one handed.

i have the same boat and my rail is bolted on i will get some spray dodgers for it later lots of people used to mount the anchor tubes on them to get out the way my boat came with an 18hp on the back took it off thinking of a lecci on the back only for weight savings

jim

I meant to advise you to cover the boat with a sheet or something before you start cutting with the grinder, the sparks can indent into the paintwork and cause problems down the track. now that it's done if you didn't cover it make sure you have no spatter anywhere on the boat. Looks good and if you want the rail modified and re-fitted at a later date, give me a buzz and I could do it for you much cheaper than a shop.

Frank

On 11/18/2017 at 7:38 AM, frankS said:

I meant to advise you to cover the boat with a sheet or something before you start cutting with the grinder, the sparks can indent into the paintwork and cause problems down the track. now that it's done if you didn't cover it make sure you have no spatter anywhere on the boat. Looks good and if you want the rail modified and re-fitted at a later date, give me a buzz and I could do it for you much cheaper than a shop.

Frank

Thanks Frank, no I didn't cover it.  Oops!  Oh well, I can't see any visual signs of damage.  The paint's pretty rough anyway and I'm thinking about going to bare alloy for the gunnels so it probably won't matter.

Thanks a lot for the offer, I'll keep that in mind if I decide I want a rail again later.

Installation went smoothly and I've got everything hooked up and ready to go.  Unfortunately didn't get a chance for a water test, hopefully one afternoon this week.

Being a 24V motor I was worried about all the extra weight with batteries.  I've mounted them as far back as I could.  They're below floor level under the console.  Easy access for charging there and completely out of the way.  Will be interesting to see if they make much difference to the way she sits in the water.  56kg of batteries plus the motor which must weigh about 12kg+ I reckon so there's a fair bit of new weight in her.

Great stuff, the extra weight is equal to 1 light person and it's in a good spot and doesn't move around the boat so I can't see it as being any sort of problem.

The benefits of a good bow mount lecky is well worth the extra weight, you will love a whole new style of fishing.

Frank

14 hours ago, jimg1au said:

hi how did you get the floor up in the 4.5m fishrader

thanks

There was no need with my setup. It’s all accessible via hatches. I made some mods a few years ago and also put in a different console to the original. Here are a couple of pics by way of explanation. (No idea why they're uploading upside down.  They look fine on my screen.)

Boat is a 5m Fish Finder by the way

IMG_3340.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG