When/why did you decide to buy a boat?

chokpa

I bought my first boat 40yrs ago at the age of 12, I've been addicted to boating ever since ( though I did start out on boats from the age of 3yr ).

Ive bought and sold to many boats to remember, sold the last one because no matter how much tweaking I couldn't get the sounder to hold bottom at speed due to a slotted hull causing air to give lift and break down surface tension.

Most of the boats I've owned tend to of been models with high reputations which has helped with resale ( a good thing given the amount I've owned).

Without doubt the boat I now own has been the most fun and safest. Saying that I take it out in conditions I wouldn't of taken any of my previous boats, so the risk is still there because I now stay out when conditions see most others head in.

Just spent the day solo enjoying photographing dolphins, seals, eagles not to mention catching a good feed of snapper and flaties. Sometimes it's good to just be out there soaking up the vast expanse on your own.

My family had boats when I was young.  For a holiday my first thought is always coastal.   It’s another world on the water a great pastime.  

A bow rider is a good all rounder if you can though get over 4.8m it’s a better size and the life jacket rules are a bit easier. 

Edited by Welster

Interesting, thanks guys. 4.8m bowrider would be great but unfortunately they all look about $25k+. I am looking at something more modest for the harbour, so probably will look at runabouts or centre/side consoles which seem to go for quite a bit cheaper

How is the learning curve for your first boat?

wanted to buy a boat for years after fishing out of everyone elses and spending so much time fishing the rocks of the south coast, couldnt ever see myself without a boat now love it and the versatility it gives me with fishing.

Biggest bit of advice i can give is take your time looking for something you want, you would be surprised what you can get for a reasonable price, if you dont know anything about boats get someone who does to come check out the boat with you before you buy

6 hours ago, chokpa said:

How is the learning curve for your first boat?

For a 5m boat should be very quick.

I got into boating since I was given a 4.2m inflatable with 15hp outboard. I soon realised it was too small for what I want to do, which is heading out to coastal reefs, such as long reef. I then bought a new quintrex sea spirit 510 for that purpose and to learn on. It seemed daunting at first driving it onto the trailer, but just a few goes it becomes so easy. It didn't stop there though, soon after the Qunnie I wanted to so further out to sea to fish species like tuna or marlin(which I'm yet to catch), which got me into a 6m glass boat. From my experience the 5m aluminium boat is much easier to handle and forgiving, so a better learning boat.

Guest Guest123456789

I decided to buy a boat after going out in my brothers and have him disregard all my ideas/suggestions only to end up spending 5 hours on the water for zilch.

Based on your requirements I wouldn’t rule out a deep bottom 4.5 tinny tiller steer. Bean bags on the floor and a good sized esky lashed on top of the casting platform turns it into a boat that’s both comfortable an also offers spray protection. Mines only 4.3 metres and has been an ideal all rounder/first boat for estuaries/bays/inshore.

E2E335B2-3095-4E30-ADD3-CF322F94D50F.jpeg

1C3B775E-EAF6-4D4C-9595-0C09BC39AAFE.jpeg

Agree with the above about not ruling out a 4.5, intact a little 3.85 quintrex explorer I used to own got towed all over Aus and was used in rivers to 6-7km offshore. Also those tiller boats leave a huge amount of free space especialy in those trophy style boats bellow 4m. 

If you move over to fibreglass hulls then a 4.5m can become an awsome little weapon even further offshore. Another boat I used to own ( one of my favorates ) was a formula 15, based on the 4.45 Haines hull. Those boats were and still are regularly out along the shelf chassing marlin.

For me the sheer versatility of those little boats meant I could always get out for a fish somewhere, rivers and dams if the weathers bad and outside when it's ok. The running costs are simply so little once set up you never have to worry about filling up the tank etc. Having a boat you can fit through the garage roller doors is also a huge bonus, being able to leave all your gear inside the boat in the safety of your home means you are ready for a quick getaway if you decide to head out.

The original boat mentioned would be awsome for the likes of the Hawkesbury etc, where you can shelter in the bays or slip out the front if the family felt game. The more hours you spend out there the more fun you should have and experiance you will gain.

A 4.5m Polycraft is an awesome boat for the price as. There's one for sale on this site. I've fished on them in Weipa & they were very nice to fish out of & handle rough conditions. Great size for estuaries & very capable offshore as well.