How to catch Kings in port hacking?

mtlg

Hi Raiders, as per title I'm looking for some advice in catching kingfish in the Port Hacking.

I have read a lot of content here when it comes to the hacking (thanks for all the sharing!), been fishing it consistently through the seasons, tried numerous different things, but still no success. I only have a small dinghy, so I prefer sticking to inside the hacking and only venture into Bate Bay on calm days. My usual spots are inside the hacking around drop-offs of about 15-20 m of water usually with some structure nearby where the tide currents are not exceedingly strong.

I've had 0 luck catching squid in the hacking, but I tried live baiting with yakkas numerous times with surface rigs and deep rigs (5 m or so from the bottom). I dont have a downrigger for trolling, so I mostly sit on a spot, check the depth, burley hard and wait ^_^. I've also tried floating pieces of bait down the burley trail without much luck. I normally do catch fish, but mostly not what I intend to and too often undersized fish.

So anyway... I'm looking for advice on bait, techniques, fishing spots (what to look for), gear, tides, weather or anything I can improve or try differently really. All help is appreciated, Thanks!

Hi, To state the obvious no technique will work if the fish are not there. Have you ever seen kingfish or heard of any body catching kingfish in the area? I fished a local bay (not in the hacking) for 6 months before I got a king but I had seen them following bait and lures to the boat.

1 hour ago, recurve said:

Try finding the bait and Jigging Soft Plastics from the bottom up. Use a 5/8 Jig head.

Will try!

23 minutes ago, blaxland said:

Hi, To state the obvious no technique will work if the fish are not there. Have you ever seen kingfish or heard of any body catching kingfish in the area? I fished a local bay (not in the hacking) for 6 months before I got a king but I had seen them following bait and lures to the boat.

I haven't seen them chase my bait, I usually bait fish (live or dead) out of sight and hardly ever try some artificial lures, but I have seen them swimming close by to spots I like fishing. Of course when this happens I never have a rod ready to go.

I would fish where you see them, Try lures, Live bait, and Pilchard I got 4 undersize rats today on unweighted pilchard tail, I had a live yakka out the whole session which did not get touched, had a few follow a halco twistie to the boat whithout a strike, 3 hours to full tide did the trick and we also caught a few slimie mackeral which in hindsight I should of used for bait.

Edited by blaxland
not relevent

Do you have a Chartplotter/Fish Finder?

Kings move around and can be hit and miss with them.

Try around the moorings. I got smashed last time I went next to a mooring but the fishfinder did show arches and we had live squid. As soon as we dropped it, it didn't last even 10secs and the reel was screaming. Unfortunately, he busted us off going around one of the moorings.

Keep trying mate...it's only a matter of time.

Thanks!

I'll make sure to try try the unweighted bait.

I do have a fish finder (still learning a bit), but haven't been able to find them arches yet. I guess I'll continue to try finding some squid on the area.

Any extra advice is welcomed