Help on lures !

Kaneo

Hi guys.  

Im going to start using lures for fishing instead of bait fishing & see how I go as I don’t get much luck with bait & wanted to try something new. I just need some tips on what braid and mono to run as well as what reel and rod to buy.

I’ll mainly be only chasing flathead & bream as well as bass. I want one rod setup only for lures that can catch all 3. 

Im thinking , 2-4kg spin rod with a 2500-3000 reel. With 6lb braid & 10lb mono. (Mainly soft plastics, and the light plastic bass ones)

And for heavy lures like metal ones just use my current rod I use for bait fishing with 15lb braid? Unsure of this setup

That sounds good to me. With lures 4-8lb is perfect for smaller estuary fish (flathead, bream whiting) and 15lb is good for jewfish on lures. I'd use around the 20lb leader mark for jewies, but it depends where you're fishing. 10lb leader might be a tad heavy for bream imo, but it good for flathead. You might need slightly heavier mainline for fish like kings, but if you're good at playing the fish 15lb is manageable as long as there's not too much structure they can wrap you around.

I had heard that when you use the plastics for Flattys, you need to get it in contact with the bottom. Also, when you catch one, remember to check the leader for any roughness and if you find some, retie. They have a rough old mouth and they can wear through the leader

4lb for bream is good advice. 

a 7 foot 2-4kg rod with a nice fast action, hundreds of them out there, go the 2500 size reel don't go to cheap shimano sienna is a good starting reel

6lb braid and 8lb fluorocarbon leader will have you covered for most estuary species and bass,

my advice... start by focusing on flathead and bass and hone your skills as they're not particularly fussy, then move onto bream

any other advice I can offer shoot me a pm

Dave

5 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

a 7 foot 2-4kg rod with a nice fast action, hundreds of them out there, go the 2500 size reel don't go to cheap shimano sienna is a good starting reel

6lb braid and 8lb fluorocarbon leader will have you covered for most estuary species and bass,

my advice... start by focusing on flathead and bass and hone your skills as they're not particularly fussy, then move onto bream

any other advice I can offer shoot me a pm

Dave

Thanks mate, I’ll try get exact same setup. Not to light not to heavy sounds just like what I want to do. Hopefully I can catch with the lures though !