Painting Advice

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

About 12 months ago I fixed up some blistering paint on my Quintrex.

The paint was blistered so I sanded it back to bare metal and used some etch primer followed by Telwater White all straight out of the can.

The result was and remains excellent but the area was on a corner of the boat rather than on a large flat surface so it was easy to mask off and blend in.

The boat had a few bubbling paint issues inside the first 5 months and the dealer fixed these for me at no charge and they have not resurfaced 3 years later. Similarly, the one I fixed has also, at least after 12 months, has not suffered any problems.

I now want to tackle some other blistering on some larger surfaces and as I am happy with the result straight our of the can I would like to continue this way as I touch up a few small areas. So I have a  question for those more experienced than myself.

Is there a way of blending small areas on larger flat panels so you don't have to respray the whole area?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

10 hours ago, Yowie said:

Jim,

the new paint will scare the fish away. :lol:

My last boat was never painted from new, 42 years old until it fell apart from over use.

Dave.

LOL!  

To be honest I am thinking about the resale value.

I am thinking of selling boat and buying one a little more ocean going.

BTW... I think that last line describes me... except it's 58 and falling apart from over use!

Edited by fragmeister

On 26 November 2017 at 9:03 PM, fragmeister said:

Hi Raiders,

About 12 months ago I fixed up some blistering paint on my Quintrex.

The paint was blistered so I sanded it back to bare metal and used some etch primer followed by Telwater White all straight out of the can.

The result was and remains excellent but the area was on a corner of the boat rather than on a large flat surface so it was easy to mask off and blend in.

The boat had a few bubbling paint issues inside the first 5 months and the dealer fixed these for me at no charge and they have not resurfaced 3 years later. Similarly, the one I fixed has also, at least after 12 months, has not suffered any problems.

I now want to tackle some other blistering on some larger surfaces and as I am happy with the result straight our of the can I would like to continue this way as I touch up a few small areas. So I have a  question for those more experienced than myself.

Is there a way of blending small areas on larger flat panels so you don't have to respray the whole area?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

You answered your own question I think mate.It doesn't matter if a blends on the corner,side or top of the boat it's all done the same.I don't know how you blended from a can but with a spray gun I prepare the paint work,Etch,prime then give the primered area a coat and let tack off.Then I thin the paint a little more and give the area another coat flicking the edges out another few centimetres,and so on into the existing paintwork.Thats what a blend is in effect.You get coverage over the patch(Primer)on the first coat and then every subsequent coat you thin the paint down and spray into the existing paintwork with a flick of the wrist at the end of the gun stroke blending the new paint into the old.

If you are painting metallics which your not you'd clearcoat over the entire panel masking off to a edge if possible.

Hope this makes sense.

17 hours ago, Fab1 said:

You answered your own question I think mate.It doesn't matter if a blends on the corner,side or top of the boat it's all done the same.I don't know how you blended from a can but with a spray gun I prepare the paint work,Etch,prime then give the primered area a coat and let tack off.Then I thin the paint a little more and give the area another coat flicking the edges out another few centimetres,and so on into the existing paintwork.Thats what a blend is in effect.You get coverage over the patch(Primer)on the first coat and then every subsequent coat you thin the paint down and spray into the existing paintwork with a flick of the wrist at the end of the gun stroke blending the new paint into the old.

If you are painting metallics which your not you'd clearcoat over the entire panel masking off to a edge if possible.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Fabian, 

I suspected that you would find this post eventually and help me out!

That all makes sense. What I have been finding is that there ends up being over spray of "dry-ish" paint on the margins of the blend. Can I just buff those out?

Cheers and thanks again.

Jim

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

Thanks Fabian, 

I suspected that you would find this post eventually and help me out!

That all makes sense. What I have been finding is that there ends up being over spray of "dry-ish" paint on the margins of the blend. Can I just buff those out?

Cheers and thanks again.

Jim

You have that overspray(Dry edge) because with the spray can you can't thin the paint out every coat and spray past the last coat like I mentioned.The purpose of thinning each coat out like I described is you are basically dissolving the previous coats dry edge more and more as the paint is getting thinner and the solvent(Thinners)in the paint basically disolves that previous edge while it's still relatively wet until it becomes almost non-existent to the naked eye.

If you try to buff it now you will run through the edge of the blend and will end up with a very pronounced line(edge) where the blend ends and the existing paint continues that will be noticeable for sure.

The key to a good blend is firstly a good colour match and being able to thin the paint each coat to hide that edge from the previous one.

Be mindful that no matter how good a blend you do there will always be that very fine edge that can be exposed with careless buffing or polishing as it's very easy to rub through that edge.

A good blend requires a very light buff by hand and being mindful of it in the future if you haven't clearcoated over the entire repair which I would highly recommend if it's a solid colour or metallic for that extra durability.

Hope I'm making sense mate.