Tilt and trim issue

garfield28

G'day all,

I have a Mercury Saltwater series 125 out board and it has just stated out of nowhere giving me problems with the tilt and trim. Started yesterday at first I got to the boat ramp and when I tried to tilt my motor up from the forward controls there was nothing. I went to the back of the boat and tried to do it from the actual motor but same thing. Anyhow left it down and got the boat on the trailer and went home. At home it come good and started to go up with no dramas, but now it will go up all the time but will only every now and then go down. A few times I'd have to go up to get it to go down, but mainly it just will only go down intermediately. 

The batteries are good, when I press the button either on the forward controls or on the outboard itself, there's no clicking, no drowsey flat sound, its just completely dead not making any noise and just not responding. I think mine is a 91 year of manufacture, and just hopeful there is a few things any of you can guide me on checking to rectify the problem. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

At a guess I’d say its a faulty tilt trim solenoid.  You should be able to find troubleshooting guides or youtube videos to help you diagnose and or replace it, but if its that its a $50-80 buck part that a marine mechanic might charge you several hundred to replace.

when it happened to me it started off very intermittent but then progressively got worse.

Edited by Smasher

Underneath the starter motor there are two relays (solenoids) that control up and down. 

Hopefully this photo works. Under the thick cable with the yellow lug, there are two boxes about 35-40mm square in size. Each has a white sticker on them.

Remove both and take them to your local automotive parts store. There are normally a common automotive part. There are 2 or 3 relays models that look very similar. When selecting pay attention to the number of the pins and their positions. You should be able to buy 2pcs and get change from $50.

cheers

Rod

(first time posting a photo from iPhone)

IMG_2534.JPG

19 hours ago, Smasher said:

At a guess I’d say its a faulty tilt trim solenoid.  You should be able to find troubleshooting guides or youtube videos to help you diagnose and or replace it, but if its that its a $50-80 buck part that a marine mechanic might charge you several hundred to replace.

when it happened to me it started off very intermittent but then progressively got worse.

Thanks smasher... and $50-$80 would be OK... any more and the handbrake might make me sell! 

19 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I would check the tilt wiring near the engine first up. Especially the points of the wiring that have to pivot or move when the engine is moved. They can wear out over time. 

Get someone to wriggle the wires while you try the tilt buttons. See what happens. Start with that. 

I'll give it a go Hateanchors, cheers mate. 

9 hours ago, fishingrod said:

Underneath the starter motor there are two relays (solenoids) that control up and down. 

Hopefully this photo works. Under the thick cable with the yellow lug, there are two boxes about 35-40mm square in size. Each has a white sticker on them.

Remove both and take them to your local automotive parts store. There are normally a common automotive part. There are 2 or 3 relays models that look very similar. When selecting pay attention to the number of the pins and their positions. You should be able to buy 2pcs and get change from $50.

cheers

Rod

(first time posting a photo from iPhone)

IMG_2534.JPG

Thanks for that info fishingrod. Mate when you say a automotive parts store, which would be the most likely you think? 

As the motor is going up but not down, Is it possible to switch the relays over so that the up is down, and the down is up to determine if the down relay is no good... can that be done? Or is there another way I can test to see if the relay is no good so that I don't buy new ones if I don't need them. 

Thanks 

Geoff 

3 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Just another thought - you could have some water condensation in the circuitry- so look for connections / fuses and blast with wd40. 

Others have reported similar sporadic symptoms with Tilt and Trim. 

cheers

Zoran

I should mention it all coincided with my pulling the battery terminals the day before. I pulled them off and tried to clean the lead ends up a bit, not sure what they're made of but they seemed a bit discolored, so run over them with a metal brush.... not sure if that could have anything to do with it, as all of my other electrics, sounder, stereo, lights etc seem to be working fine. 

Thanks

Geoff 

3 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Thanks for that info fishingrod. Mate when you say a automotive parts store, which would be the most likely you think? 

Repco, AutoOne, AutoPro, Autobarn, Bursons and even SuperCheap or Jaycar. 

Yes, should be fine to swap the up and down over to confirm that's the actual fault.

They may be less than $15 each. Don't skimp and just replace one. They are both the same age. 

Pretty sure they are often called Horn relays. Similar to what people use for their driving/spot lights.

cheers

Rod

On 11/28/2017 at 8:40 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I would be checking the wires to your terminals if it started then  you may have a loose connector where they attach to terminal...rick

Did that Rick... Originally I could only get the motor to go up not down, so I swapped the switched over last night, and when I did it would only go down not up. 

3 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I had the same issue on an older engine. I ended up swapping the cables over to lower the engine.

Cheers mate.

Just sent you a PM Antony. 

Edited by garfield28