Fitting A Portable Fuel Tank As A Spare

Berleyguts

Hi Raiders!

I’m thinking that I’d like the security of extra fuel on board in case the weather blows up on a longer trip. I’ve carried a 10l jerry can on trips to Broughton Island but haven’t needed it yet. I do like to troll a bit and I usually launch at Soldiers Point (easier for solo launch and retrieve), so it will give me piece of mind if I have extra fuel in reserve, especially if I want to run to the FAD this season - I think the Car Park might be a tad too far!  Rather than carrying a jerry can and trying to fill at sea with a funnel, I’d like to carry a 25l portable tank. There’s room at the stern. I have an Evinrude ETEC 60hp. The guy at my local boat dealer says I can attach it at the fuel filter. I’m assuming it goes at the inlet opposite the inlet from the main 50l tank? See attached photos.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

523B2769-2210-4126-987C-71AD2111B09E.jpeg

70EE5121-702E-49C9-8CA6-19E917CA4BE6.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

Personally i would not want to be undoing those bits at sea to reconnect another fuel tank to drive home. Unless you can get an easier connection fitted so you are only swapping a clip but i'm not sure how that works with fuel flow in your  motor. I would be more inclined to take more jerry cans or use your portable tank as a jerry. If you do not want to pick it up and pour it look at getting a good jiggle siphon to get it from the spare tank to the main tank. It is likely that when you go mucking around with those hose connections you will get some spillage and possibly some issues re-priming the line to get started. I would also be very surprised if the conditions (sea and location) that you needed to perform that fuel tank conversion in were convenient.

I’m no expert mate but I know a fuel source (tank) has to go on the side with the arrow pointing in, towards the filter. So you take the hose with the arrow pointing in off, and plug in your tank to the same place. 

I would get a hose connecter that is detachable rather than muck around with hose clamps. A boat supplies place will have those.  

In the bottom pic, there are two inlets. One in the top left, coming from the main tank and the other one in the top right, directly opposite the main inlet. The other two points (bottom of pic) are outlets. The dealer implied I could leave both hooked up and just prime the portable tank when needed. He also said the ETECs don’t like running dry, so make sure I prime the spare when I’ve still got about 10 litres in the main tank. Does this sound right?

Edited by Berleyguts

I wouldn't even think about transferring fuel from jerry can (ie siphoning or pouring) when there are plastic fuel tanks available in a variety of shapes and sizes. Apart from being a fire/ explosion hazard you might need to change over quickly.

You are on the right track using the fuel filter connection. All you have to do is  attach a fuel line with primer bulb to the filter and put a suitable connector on the end that will match the one on the fuel tank.

I am not sure but I think you might need an on/ off valve in line as well (so you are not drawing from 2 lines at once).

33 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

I wouldn't even think about transferring fuel from jerry can (ie siphoning or pouring) when there are plastic fuel tanks available in a variety of shapes and sizes. Apart from being a fire/ explosion hazard you might need to change over quickly.

You are on the right track using the fuel filter connection. All you have to do is  attach a fuel line with primer bulb to the filter and put a suitable connector on the end that will match the one on the fuel tank.

I am not sure but I think you might need an on/ off valve in line as well (so you are not drawing from 2 lines at once).

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking but I hadn’t thought about an on/off valve.

hey baz you can have the second tank hooked up permanent..well the fuel line anyway..when needed connect to tank and prime line...leave the line off when not using..i personally take extra tank then siphon from on top of my bait table into main tank with jiggler hose...I carry extra tank up front to balance boat..you have options...rick

1 minute ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey baz you can have the second tank hooked up permanent..well the fuel line anyway..when needed connect to tank and prime line...leave the line off when not using..i personally take extra tank then siphon from on top of my bait table into main tank with jiggler hose...I carry extra tank up front to balance boat..you have options...rick

Thanks Rick. That’s what I was thinking. Hook it up when needed. Given that my dealer suggested I plug the spare in when I still have 10 litres or so in the main tank, I figure it wouldn’t be a problem with both tanks feeding through the filter to the motor in that case?

In an open boat with no bait table (yet) and the fill point in the starboard gunwhale near the side console, I think siphoning it would be an issue and something I don’t want to muck around with.

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

yeah point taken if you don't have a high spot..you can leave auxiliary line connected to filter and just leave connector off tank till you get low then plug onto tank..no need for inline tap..rick

Thanks Rick. Looks like I just need to find the connector for the 2nd inlet to the filter. The tank and hose won’t be a problem. ?

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Thanks Rick. Looks like I just need to find the connector for the 2nd inlet to the filter. The tank and hose won’t be a problem. ?

There are specific connectors for different motors. I found it to be a pain when I wanted to use the same tank in different boats. Good thread, You've reminded me that I should use my spare fuel tank, rather than a Jerry can. I think from memory, my fuel line was slightly too short, the last time I tried. Time I also revisited this. Thanks!

Edited by antonywardle

4 hours ago, antonywardle said:

There are specific connectors for different motors. I found it to be a pain when I wanted to use the same tank in different boats. Good thread, You've reminded me that I should use my spare fuel tank, rather than a Jerry can. I think from memory, my fuel line was slightly too short, the last time I tried. Time I also revisited this. Thanks!

Yeah, the spare tank won't be connected directly to the motor. If it was, I'd just need an Evinrude connector.  I'll be connecting the spare tank to the 2nd inlet on the filter, so I'll need a connector that screws into the filter, then I'll just clamp the hose onto that.  The existing hose from the outlet on the filter to the motor will do the rest of the job.  Will get around to it soon and let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my set up this weekend. It looks like I have the same fuel separator as you do so I'll be looking at adding a spare connector like  you. I also noticed that the internal tank connector wasn't clicking in as well as I think it should, and if it was slightly longer,, then I could just use that, My plastic and internal tank have the same connector, so thanks for starting the thread.

23 hours ago, antonywardle said:

I checked my set up this weekend. It looks like I have the same fuel separator as you do so I'll be looking at adding a spare connector like  you. I also noticed that the internal tank connector wasn't clicking in as well as I think it should, and if it was slightly longer,, then I could just use that, My plastic and internal tank have the same connector, so thanks for starting the thread.

I visited the local chandlery and was advised I’d need an inline tap on each line. I’d need to shut the mainline off before it runs out or the engine will just suck air. Not good! He was out of the taps but they were due to arrive today, so I’ll pop in tomorrow and see what I can get done.

The 25 litre tank fits nicely under the rear casting deck but I think I should find a way to secure it so it doesn’t move about. I will also have to keep an eye on how the boat sits. The tank is on the starboard side, same as the console and at rest in the Bay on Thursday, fishing solo, with me in the helm seat, there was a slight list. I may have to redistribute my load... or catch more fish to store in the 70 litre eski I keep on the port side!

8663D0C3-8D55-4FB0-BC1B-5F7CA08CE0A5.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

All fitted. Nice easy job except for fitting the 2nd in-line tap in the way I’d like. If I had the tap on top, the casting deck might sit on it, so I rotated it to operate from underneath and to the side a bit. The main one can work from the side as there is no outlet near it it to impede operation. Tested it and all seems good. Now I have peace of mind if the weather blows up and it takes a bit longer to get home.

61D4FFA3-84E2-4F8B-9637-FF0F4B0FE394.jpeg

4066EE1A-60DB-4D92-BC4A-814FBFFDA1C4.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts

26 minutes ago, raging said:

What's the venting story for that space?

Hmmm... I must admit I hadn’t thought about that.  There’s plenty of room around it and it’s open to the next compartment in the middle. Each compartment has a carpeted lid which forms part of the rear deck. How much ventilation is needed? The deck’s not watertight so some air gets through.

Another suggestion, a little more involved, but you could have also fitted an electric fuel switch like what is used in 4wd dual tank systems. Just put the switching solenoid before the filter so what ever tank you draw from always goes through the filter. Then run a switch to change it over from the helm or somewhere convenient. Don’t have to worry about ball valves then. Bit more expensive, and fiddly to set up is the draw back I guess.. Just a suggestion if anyone ever does something like this in the future.

Corey.

29 minutes ago, Snowyandsalty said:

Another suggestion, a little more involved, but you could have also fitted an electric fuel switch like what is used in 4wd dual tank systems. Just put the switching solenoid before the filter so what ever tank you draw from always goes through the filter. Then run a switch to change it over from the helm or somewhere convenient. Don’t have to worry about ball valves then. Bit more expensive, and fiddly to set up is the draw back I guess.. Just a suggestion if anyone ever does something like this in the future.

Corey.

Great idea and I may look at that down track but I’ll get a pro to do it when I get some other wiring done! This will do in the meantime.

6 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Its problem a consideration if it is enclosed. I guess you can get a build of fumes, but

from what I can tell, this is pretty open, so ts not likely going to be an issue. Always good to

consider though.

Hmmm... I hope it’s open enough!