Fitting A Portable Fuel Tank As A Spare

Berleyguts

hey baz  open the breather on your portable when you switch to it..leave it shut to retain fumes while stored...the filter setup you have is fully sealed with clamped and screwed connectors.and now taps..i have no idea why ventilation was brought up..if your system is leaking and needs ventilation it should be replaced..on lots of larger boats ive fished on these filters are behind doors and in enclosed spaces..all this comment has done is make you worry bout something that's not a problem...you have set it all up well with taps to stop the line drawing air..if I were you I would be rather happy with your handiwork..now go fishing and enjoy yourself...rick

28 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey baz  open the breather on your portable when you switch to it..leave it shut to retain fumes while stored...the filter setup you have is fully sealed with clamped and screwed connectors.and now taps..i have no idea why ventilation was brought up..if your system is leaking and needs ventilation it should be replaced..on lots of larger boats ive fished on these filters are behind doors and in enclosed spaces..all this comment has done is make you worry bout something that's not a problem...you have set it all up well with taps to stop the line drawing air..if I were you I would be rather happy with your handiwork..now go fishing and enjoy yourself...rick

Thanks Rick. That’s what I thought! The guy at the chandlery was very helpful with advice and would have brought up ventilation if it was an issue, I’m sure!

FAD here I come!

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

.i have no idea why ventilation was brought up

No idea, really???? Because it's a portable fuel tank in a enclosed space.

Was a genuine question, I don't know the answer - was hoping to get some wisdom from the crowds, you know, like a forum.

if  the filter was the target for ventilation .no problem there..if the tank was the target  that was answered .keep the breather shut till you need it for use..you don't leave the cap open on a jerry can so don't leave the breather open on your portable..underfloor tanks have breathers built in as you cant normally get to them to have a manual breather that can be opened or shut by hand..i carry a 22.5 ltr portable on bigger trips in front of my fishbox in the front of the boat and leave the breather shut so I don't get fumes.....if you look at baz original foto his tank is in an open area...??????????.rick

29 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

if  the filter was the target for ventilation .no problem there..if the tank was the target  that was answered .keep the breather shut till you need it for use..you don't leave the cap open on a jerry can so don't leave the breather open on your portable..underfloor tanks have breathers built in as you cant normally get to them to have a manual breather that can be opened or shut by hand..i carry a 22.5 ltr portable on bigger trips in front of my fishbox in the front of the boat and leave the breather shut so I don't get fumes.....if you look at baz original foto his tank is in an open area...??????????.rick

It might be a bit problematic when you use the carry tank though, as fishing often involves doing some running interspersed with periods at anchor or drifting. So you will have to go to the trouble of closing the vent every time you stop (and opening it again) or there is the possibility of venting vapours.

The photo shows the tank is in a compartment, but also mention is made of it being under the rear casting deck which would make it a confined space. I would consider having the tank out in the open on deck. If it is too much of an obstacle you could use 2 x 12L tanks. That's what I did with my Polycraft. I ignored the dealers suggestion of having the carry tank under the seat in a confined space. 

Edited by kingfishbig

apologies if I caused any confusion. There were a couple of questions,

Do you have to worry about fume build up and is there enough air so that when you are running off the plastic tank, can it breath

and this might have caused the confusion. It doesn't look like there will be any fume build up, and when you are running off the plastic, you'll be fine to open the breather, just like @rickmarlin62 said. 

Your setup looks very neat and will serve you well. I'll be copying you!

3 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

apologies if I caused any confusion. There were a couple of questions,

Do you have to worry about fume build up and is there enough air so that when you are running off the plastic tank, can it breath

and this might have caused the confusion. It doesn't look like there will be any fume build up, and when you are running off the plastic, you'll be fine to open the breather, just like @rickmarlin62 said. 

Your setup looks very neat and will serve you well. I'll be copying you!

Why wouldn't there be fume build up? The vent can let out vapours as well as let in air. The problem is if the tank is in a confined space (which it looks like it is).

seriously....you are questioning where thousands of people carry their tanks....the main concern for fumes is in inboard situations where fumes under floor or engine bay could ignite upon ignition due to errant sparks from leads or wires to starter..then you have blower fans mounted for this problem......sorry to ignite an argument on the side of your topic baz  I think you have a great workable setup...rick

6 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

you could always look in there with a lighter and check

Ha ha ha!!! I was going to say something like that but held back! :)

Yes, I think I'm OK.  My boat is an open boat, so I'm not concerned about breathing in fumes (If there were any).  Although the tank is in a "confined space" of sorts, being under the casting deck, I think there is enough air around it and gaps up the side and rear of the deck to ventilate if necessary.  I can always add vents but I don't think it's needed.

Thanks for the feedback guys! See ya out on the water!

You might find this useful. It specifically mentions the case of a portable fuel tank with built in vents in outboard powered boats. Going by this some extra venting of the compartment might not be a bad idea:

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/vent.html

Boats with permanently installed inboard gasoline engines for:

Propulsion

Generators

Auxiliary Equipment

This does not apply to:

Outboards:

Portable Equipment

Exception: If your outboard powered boat has a permanently installed fuel tank, and there is electrical equipment in the same space as the fuel tank, and that equipment is not ignition protected, then the space must be ventilated! See the electrical page for information on ignition protection.

Exception: If you have a portable fuel tank, fastened down in a compartment and that tank vents into the compartment, then the space must be ventilated.  The same is true for an outboard engine in an enclosed compartment or a portable generator in an enclosed compartment.

Natural Ventilation: A natural ventilation system is required on all boats with compartments that contain a permanently installed gasoline engine or a fuel tank, unless that space is open to the atmosphere.

Open to the atmosphere: This means, if there is at least 15 square inches of (96.77 Sq. Cm)opening to the atmosphere for each cubic foot (0.03 Cubic Meters)  of net compartment volume, then you don't have to provide ventilation. Any openings will do. However be aware that gasoline vapors are heavier than air. If all the openings are at the top of the space, and there is no air flow, then the vapors can still be trapped at the bottom: