Listing Boat

Bazzwaldo

Hi Forum

This is my first post on the forum, long time watcher though

Just launched my newly acquired (2006) Trailcraft 540 Sportscab complete with a 2007 Mercury 90 hp 4 stroke (with 'Whale Tail')

Onboard, I had myself (120kg and 2 friends 100kg combined). They placed themselves on the port side which roughly balanced out the weight distribution

I also filled the underfloor fuel tank to the brim (filler on port side and assume the tank is situated in the centre of the hull).

Underway I noticed a definate lean to the starboard side with the boat coming up to level on slight left hand turns

This confused me so I unloaded the girls and took pictures of the boat empty on the water, here you can also see a definate list to starboard!!!

Absolutely no idea why this is the case given its a plate hull requiring a fair amount of weight to be place off to one side in order to get this result????

There is a transom door on the port side and a battery just off centre on starboard side. The live bait tank was filled (next to transom door on port side)

Are there any other Trailcraft owners that have this issue?

Is there anything you can think of that would cause this?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Bazza

Boat List 4.jpg

Boat list 1.jpg

Boat list 3.jpg

Hi Rick

As it was my first time with this boat, I didn't activate the automatic bilge pump, when I retrieved her and opened the bung there was approximately 10 litres of water in the 'air/water-tight' hull

I did note that the 'o-ring/plastic washer' around the screw-in bung was missing maybey accounting for the water ingress???

Water naturally finds its deepest point and would stay evenly spread in that location?

I also notice that when she is on the trailer, it lists slightly to the right aswell!

If the boat has lain idle for some period, could its floatation material absorb water over time, resulting in weight being distributed on that side due to soaked up excess weight in the form of water????

Could be a build-up of sand on starboard side?

Also, what solutions doe you recommend?

you don't have large amounts of floatation  so that's not problem..next time you launch  move people and eskies around and see if it changes..you may have to move battery to port   if you weigh 20kg plus more than passengers and they arnt as far to port as you are to starboard combine that with battery and anything else your side it will list...I have a vsea and my mate is 20kg less than me so we usually have esky and jump pack stored to port side to counter difference...your fuel tank may not be central  see if you can check location..it may all come down to weight distribution when loading boat before travel...rick

Edited by rickmarlin62
misprint

When you say sealed floor is it one complete sealead area or seperate sealed chambers ?  Have to agree it does look heavier on one side from those photos.

Not wanting to alarm you but I remember seeing problems with trailcraft leaking along the keel weld where a few filled the floatation section ending with sunken boats. Next time you pull it out allow a little time to get underneath for a good look along the welds for any seeping water.

I also notice that when she is on the trailer, it lists slightly to the right aswell!

The above was your comment.

It is impossible for your boat to list to one side on a correctly set up trailer.If it's listing to starboard in the trailer the roller cradles are lower on that side than the port side.

You could load the boat up on the starboard side with bags of cement and as long as the trailers rollers where even and could support the weight she'd sit there as straight as a die.

Something strange is happening here.

If at rest in calm water it lists to one side it is a weight distribution issue.

I don't know what underfloor structure your running but some boats have sealed chambers that if they get compromised and say water got in to the chamber on the starboard side it would list to that side if the weight of the water was substantial.Otterwise it is weight somewhere uneven on the deck.

With Fab1's comment about bags of cement :mellow: you could just put a large esky on one side and fill it with water to level that side up to put on the trailer then pull the bung out of the esky once level on the trailer. But in all honesty this isn't something you want to be messing with and need to find the issue causing this and fix it, it's the only way you will ever be happy with the boat.

I doubt 10litres of water(10kg) would be the issue to make it lean like you say.That bung screw without it's o-ring should be replaced ASAP.I'd be draining all the water you can out of the hull then blowing compressed air in there if you can get access to it.Then letting it air dry tilted on the trailer with the bung/s removed for a few days before sea  trialing it again before moving on to plan B.

Edited by Fab1

Regarding the list while on the trailer has to do with rollers not being set correctly, I'll address this today

The result of it sitting incorrectly is why i brought it up as I speculated with now knowledge that water could have soaked into the floatation causing an uneven weight distribution

The previous owner and the one before him sprayed the underside firstly blue, now white making it hard for me to inspect it for weld marks

As far as I'm aware, the underfloor area is air/waterproof????

I'll replace the bung today

I'll also inspect the fuel tank/s to see if there is a blockage

Great ideas coming through, I wont be happy till I figure out why this is happening

All the pictures shown are with no people in it

Cheers

Bazza

My understanding was they didn't have foam just an empty chamber. The fact the hull has been painted twice may point towards what I mentioned earlier of some leaking along the welds ( hopefully not but the paint looks suss)

I wonder if the previous owner was a light weight and had a fat mate, so he added extra weight to the drivers side to counter act his fat mate?

P.s at 112kg I am usually that mate.

Now seriously:

Replace the Bung and try that, amazing how much water can get in from a poor seal.

If you can lift the floor or a section of the floor out then I would do that, then put the boat in the water and see if you can see any water leaks, my old boat only did it when the boat was loaded and in the water as the pressure pushed the water through the small hole where a rock must have pierced it on a beach landing. Used some kneed it on the inside and then thought about getting it welded but never bothered.

If you cannot get under the floor, lower the front of your boat down and put the hose into the bung hole and see if you can find a crack or hole leaking or tilt it up and see if anything flushes out like Sand.

I assume you have checked every storage pod, under floor and under seat storage for a bag of sand

2 hours ago, JonD said:

LdMy understanding was they didn't have foam just an empty chamber. The fact the hull has been painted twice may point towards what I mentioned earlier of some leaking along the welds ( hopefully not but the paint looks suss)

A good way to test for tiny cracks and pinholes along the welds is to run compressed air into the hull and make a soapy solution in a spray bottle spraying all suspect welds.If you see the soapy suds bubbling you've found a compromised weld that will allow water into the hull.

Spraypainting  the hull tells me they did it for aesthetic reasons or that the boat has been damaged in some way either on the trailer,hit rocks an perhaps split the welds open etc,etc.

Look at all welds and ask yourself if they all look uniform in appearance?Is the bead(weld) the same thickness and texture throughout the boat?Does the weld spatter look uniform if any?There's ways to tell if you do some detective work.

Im wondering if the hull has deformed somewhat. Could be because of the boat hitting something or  sitting on an incorrectly adjusted trailer for an extended period. need to look down the side of the boat from a few meters away. Sometimes shining a light on it at night will show up otherwise difficult to detect deformities. A panelbeating mate might also be able to spot damage that you miss.

the listing appears to be fairly significant and it would take a lot of water to make it lean that much - hence im wondering if it has anything to do with any damage to the hull.

Ok, i replaced the bung, now the water ingress has stopped, the pod is completely dry and it still sits in the water with a list when empty

As best as I can see there is no new welding down either side of the keel line or outer chines

Nothing looks bent so doubt whether its been in an accident

Im going to contact Trailcraft to ask their opinion, hopefully i can get a scematic of the underfloor to see if it could have a compartment thats filled with water and later become blocked this has got me absolutely stumped

Thanks for everyone's suggestions

Cheers

Bazza