Fishing goal this summer

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Curious to know what your number one goal everyone has for this summer season of fishing. We all fish differently and are at different levels of experience.

Me personally I’d be stoked to catch a a feed of blue swimmer crabs. I’ve never targeted them before in my local system. I’d like to catch/eat enough so that I might have gout in time for winter 2018!

My general goal for the Summer is to spend more time learning how to shore jig well with the flutter jigs.

My fishing holy grail, my trinity, my golden trifecta is to catch a 1m plus king, from the kayak on a fly rod. May have set the bar too high. Have caught kings from the kayak but haven't caught a king with the fly rod yet and certainly not a 1m plus specimen.

Edited by DerekD

2 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

My number one goal for this summer is definitely to get my first king on lure and hopefully beat my PBs of 83 kingfish and a petty 32 snapper.

That little snapper is because you use those little 1/0 circles:D 

19 minutes ago, JonD said:

That little snapper is because you use those little 1/0 circles:D 

Yep, it is pretty small but I've only tried for snapper landbased. What size hooks would u suggest using for bigger snapper in the harbour. I'm heading out with some friends in the holidays to try for some.

2 hours ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

Yep, it is pretty small but I've only tried for snapper landbased. What size hooks would u suggest using for bigger snapper in the harbour. I'm heading out with some friends in the holidays to try for some.

In the thread on circle hooks where I noticed you mention those 1/0 hooks I mentioned that I use 4 or 5/0 circles. As you are probably aware circles often seem a fair amount smaller than an equivalent j hook this seems even more the case since I've been using bkk hooks. 

I find in the 4 & 5/0 if using either a whole or half pilchard there's still enough hook showing to catch good sized snapper. You may miss out on those trevally though with the bigger hooks.

I honestly believe plastic are so much better on snapper and you will get far less of the small pickers attacking your bait. Even from the rocks or harbour I would be trying to get a zmen squiggly tail out there somehow and twitch it back.

Edited by JonD

Guest Guest123456789
2 minutes ago, JonD said:

In the thread on circle hooks where I noticed you mention those 1/0 hooks I mentioned that I use 4 or 5/0 circles. As you are probably aware circles often seem a fair amount smaller than an equivalent j hook this seems even more the case since I've been using bkk hooks. 

I find in the 4 & 5/0 if using either a whole or half pilchard there's still enough hook showing to catch good sized snapper. You may miss out on those trevally though with the bigger hooks.

I honestly believe plastic are so much better on snapper and you will get far less of the small pickers attacking your bait. Even from the rocks I would be trying to get a zmen squiggly tail out there somehow and twitch it back.

I just bought some frozen southern calamari. I’ve individually bagged them and they’re tiny, Look just out of the womb. I’m thinking they’ll be irresistible to a stud snapper around some of the closer reefs where they would predate local squid???

26 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

I just bought some frozen southern calamari. I’ve individually bagged them and they’re tiny, Look just out of the womb. I’m thinking they’ll be irresistible to a stud snapper around some of the closer reefs where they would predate local squid???

It's funny those who've caught snapper regularly on baits would know sometimes they will be all over squid and other times just pilchard, all you can do is hope you are at the right place at the right time and they are in the mood for what you are offering.

keep us informed how you go, I've tried those little squid and had more luck on kings with them than snapper, just little ones a couple of inches long.

Edited by JonD

working up Newcastle for the next 12 months and have my sights set on jews from the beach, have been hitting blacksmiths and Stockton 2/3 nights a week, have managed regular catches of sambo's, rays, flathead, bream and whiting, sticking to the theory persistence pays off :thumbup: